Duplicate production to Dev

• What is the best way to synchronize production database to development envirnoment without effecting performance on the production. All of the databases are partitioned.

So far i used to restore all databases onto development but i dont want to continue this anymore due to the time involved.

• Have you thought about Replication?

• Tara-1044200 (10/20/2010)

So far i used to restore all databases onto development but i dont want to continue this anymore due to the time involved.

How often are you doing this and why is time the issue?

Create a script in a SQL job that you can start in the evening before you go home and let it run over night. If you have multiple database have multiple jobs.

It takes a little bit of code to find the most recent backup, kill any active connections and then the restore is on its way.

You probably can't use replication because as soon as the schema changes replication breaks. Backup and restore are the simplest. If you want to go the Sys Admin way you can snapshot the files on the SAN, but this is just another form of backup and restore (or attache)

Use this as a basis:

Declare@dir varchar(255),

@cmd varchar(255),

@db varchar(255)

Set @db = 'MyDatabaseName'

Create table #tmp (fname varchar(255))

Set @dir ='\\BackupServer\BackupDrive$\BackupFolder\NextFolderLevel\'

Set @cmd = 'dir /A-D /O-D /B ' + @dir + '' + 'FirstPartOfBackupFileName' + '*.BAK' -- /O-D gives latest backup first

print @cmd

Insert into #tmp EXEC xp_cmdshell @cmd

Select top 1 @dir = @dir + fname from #tmp

where fname is not NULL

order by fname desc -- Gives most recent backup first

Print @dir

if @dir like '%File Not Found%'

BEGIN

raiserror('No backup file found for database %s',16,1, @db)

END

ELSE

BEGIN

-- execute ProcToKillUsers 'MyDatabaseName' -- Either create a proc that checks sysprocessors and kills

-- users based on DB name, or add the code here

restore database @db

FROM DISK = @dir

with MOVE 'Logical_mdf' TO 'X:\FilePath\MyDatabase.mdf'

, MOVE 'Logical_ndf' TO 'Y:\FilePath\MyDatabase.ndf'

, MOVE 'Logical_Log' TO 'L:\FilePath\MyDatabase_log.ldf'

, REPLACE

END

Drop table #tmp

Sorry my original was taken from an old LiteSpeed version and I didn't make all the corrections.

Cheers

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply