DTS Task Name does not appear in the Error Log

• When you execute a DTS Package from a job I am tired of seeing in the DTS Pkg error log and in the job history "DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1" when I have give a meaning ful name to the task. How to make the task name to appear instead of this generic name ?

Thanks

• Did you rename the steps or the tasks?  Step names are what appear in the package logs.

Greg

Greg

• Hi

Using the Disconnect Edit option you could change the name etc. of the tasks. So change the name and see how you find it.

Johnson

• I tried this on two existing dts packages and both packages stopped working. After changing the names of the steps in "Disconnect Edit", the workflow disappeared. I recreated the workflow by clicking on the two steps involved and going to "workflow" on the top menu and then choosing "On Success". This seemed to create the workflow again. However, when I ran the dts package, it always stopped after the first step completed successfully. It didn't seem to know to go on to the next step.

I opened the package and removed the workflow. Then I tried to right click on one step and choose workflow properties under workflow from the local menu. I then chose the source step from the dropdown and clicked "OK". However, the workflow wasn't created between the two steps.

After that I put I restored from backup.

I don't know what the secret is but I'm not changing any existing packages. I'll try it only on new packages. I saw a thread on another forum that said essentially the same thing - that the dependencies are lost when you do this on existing packages.

Dan

• I put the following Active X script task in complicated packages with many tasks.   It puts a list of the default step names and descriptions in the log file.  It does not put them in the Package Log accessible through EM, however.  But sometimes it comes in handy when you are deciphering a log file.

Holly

'**********************************************************************

'  Visual Basic ActiveX Script

'************************************************************************

Function Main()

Dim oPackage

Dim oStep

Set oPackage = DTSGlobalVariables.Parent

'MsgBox oPackage.Tasks.Count

For each oStep in oPackage.Steps

DTSPackageLog.WriteStringToLog  oStep.Name & ":  " & oStep.Description

'MsgBox oStep.Name & ":  " & oStep.Description

Next

Set oStep = Nothing

Set oPackage = Nothing

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

• I also have had this problem, I looked at the Microsoft support pages and followed their advice using the disconnected edit ----- result package stops after first task. Does this mean that microsoft have got it wrong? surely not.

:discuss:

• The important bit in the Microsoft's advice is this:

Note You can only use the DTS Designer to rename a step for a DTS package. You cannot use the DTS Designer to rename a task for a DTS package.

I think it is possible to rename tasks using disconnected edit but you need to be aware that steps reference tasks so, if you change a task name, you have to change the TaskName property of the corresponding step.

I've found it's more of a hassle to rename all the tasks and steps with meaningful names than it is to just look them up in disconnected edit when I'm troubleshooting.

Greg

• Yes I realise that you cannot re-name tasks without a lot of work, I only re-named the step and just in case of problems I only renamed the first one. When I ran the package the first task executed but none after that.

I had to go back to the previous version to recue the package.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply