DTS Restore

• Well for some weird reason while trying to install sql server on a different server from my machine, sql server got uninstalled from my machine. I was able to restore the databases as the db files were intact however I lost all my dts packages.

I was wondering if there is a way to restore these lost dts packages from the msdb database? as I understand that they are stored there.

• You can restore msdb to your newly installed instance and have the DTS packages back.  See "Restoring msdb database" in BOL.

Greg

Greg

• If you don't have a backup of the msdb database, but you do have the .mdf and .ldf files, you can "restore" the old msdb by:

1. Shut down SQL Server.

2. Rename current msdb .mdf and .ldf files

3. Copy the "old" msdb .mdf and .ldf files into the appropriate directory.

4. Restart SQL server. 

• well how do I get my dts packages back. I was able to restore the msdb but dont see anything in data transformation services. thanks

• If you're sure you saved the packages to SQL Server, not to files or VB, perhaps the msdb backup you restored was taken at a time when no packages were saved.

Greg

Greg

• I had the dts package already in the sql server. after restore i dont see anything.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply