DTS Lookups

• I wrote a test package that uses lookups in a transformation but the package just runs and runs. The lookups come from a table with only about 70 rows in it. The source table appends about 70,000 records into an empty destination table. Two fields in the destination table are populated by the lookups based on one field from the source table. The other few fields are copy columns. I used exactly the syntax that I found in the Wrox DTS book. Task manager says the package is running. Well it may be, but it started about an hour ago. Using an update statement only takes a few seconds. What gives?

J. Moseley

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

• I cancelled the run and changed the source to select top 100 * from source table. That took almost a minute. Maybe there is just too much overhead. Does any else use DTS Lookups?

J. Moseley

[font="Courier New"]ZenDada[/font]

• I never have...much prefer to do my lookups via a sproc executed in an Execute SQL task. I do think DTS Lookups have too much overhead in them...but it would be interesting to hear of others' experience with them.

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• In my experience is lookups very slow ... my solution: rewrite original DTS (with lookups) to pure SQL (with joins)

1: The question is ... "What is a MahnaMahna"?

2: The question is ... "Who cares?"

1: The question is ... "What is a MahnaMahna"?
    2: The question is ... "Who cares?"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply