DTS failing as a job

• I've seen this thread posted other various forms already in this forum so pardon me on seeming redundant, but its different this time (really).

I have a DTS that I'm running with the T-SQL command

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'dtsrun /S"MYSERVER01" /E /N"dts package name"'

-- to use Windows authentication

When I run it as a job, it says it runs successfully, but it takes less than a second and nothing happens.

When I run the above code in Query Analyzer (as the login used in the job's owner), I get the following error:

Error string:  Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

Error source:  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Any assistance is appreciated.

• Check the connections in the DTS package. How are they connecting to SQL Server? Are they using the same credentials as the owner of the job?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• We're using windows authentication on all server connections.  Must I use a SQL Server authentication?

• As shown, this will be using, not the windows login of the job (or you), but a login chosen as follows:

When xp_cmdshell is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in which the SQL Server service is running.

When the user is not a member of the sysadmin group, xp_cmdshell will impersonate the SQL Server Agent proxy account, which is specified using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account.

So, check the permissions of these logins related to what you are attempting to do.

• I was using SA to run the jobs, or sometimes run the job under my login.  The DTS runs fine when I execute it from Enterprise Manager.

• What account do the SQL Server and SQL Agent services use?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply