DTS Error Handling (SQL 7)

• I am wondering how I can check the status of every transaction within an active X script. Below is a syopsis:

I am processing through several records that may have the same key. Part of the key is an index. As the DTS package cycles through each record it inserts these values into a table. It will fail if trying to insert a duplicate value. Is there a way to trap that error when it occurs and then reinsert the current row while incrementing the index key? I can't seem to find much on DTS error handling.

• Are you using 'Transform Data Task' in yous DTS package?

SD

Regards,
    Sachin Dedhia

• Well it is an active X script (VBScript) written within the transformations tab of the transform between the source and destination connections. Does that answer your questions?

• Hi Scott

Yes that answer's my question!!!

Well, what you can do is create two lookups.

To the first lookup, you pass the index key as the parameter and get the record count. Now in you Active X script check if the count value.

If the count is greater than one then use the second lookup that will return the Max value and increment this value to get the new index value...

Hope this work for you?

I haven't used DTS much, so don't know if there is any other way of error handling in DTS.

IF U DON'T SEEK PERFECTION, U CAN NEVER REACH EXCELLENCE!!!

SD

Regards,
    Sachin Dedhia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply