DTS Designer error when selecting a SQL Connection

• DTS Designer error when selecting SQL Connection

I have started getting an error when using DTS. This happens in the DTS designer when I try to add a SQL Connection object to the package. I select it from the tool area on the left and immediately get the error message

"DTS Designer Error"

'No provider exists for this connection on this computer'

If I click OK then the connection wizard opens ar normal but if I try the 'refresh' button or the associated database drop down anothe rmessage says

"Could not get a classID from a string"

'Invalid class string'

The other connection objects seem to be okay. I also get the Invalid class string error if I try to run a previously created DTS package.

This all used to work until recently! I have uninstalled and re-insslatted SQL Server and re-applied the lastest service packs and the post sp3 hotfix (....818).

Machine is SQL Server 2000, Windows XP Pro + SP2; turning the firewall off has no effect. Have also looked at client and network utilities and can see no obvious problems hers (same settings as a colleague's machine which works okay).

Nothing comes up on a Google search. Anyone got any ideas?

Regards

David Saville

http://www.aldex.co.uk

• Hey,

Did you try possibly uninstalling the XP Service Pack 2?  Maybe that's a side-effect from that.  It did have a lot of issues with it.

Brian

• Brian,

Thanks for the reply - I'm a bit reluctant to remove SP2 - It works fine on a colleagues machine (with SP2) so I'd rather try to get to the bottom of the problem. All the rst of SQL Server seems to be okay and the .NET design environment with SQL specific connections are also okay.

Regards

David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply