DTS Designer - Changing connection

• In DTS Designer, when i change either source/destination connection, the transformation information is reset.  Is there any way to avoid this?  I tried to set the connection information through UDL, but no use.

• nope.

• I set up the dbs for dts connections as aliases via the client network utility. That way your connection points to the alias and you can change where the it points without having to redo anything in your package.

• If the structure is the same,  I have done it.

When it asks what to clear/reset do not select anything!

The other option is to do a "disconnected" edit. 

This is a bit of a pain,  but if the recreation of the package is that big,  it is worth doing.  Takes just a little bit of time to figure out how it works.  Not to bad once you get into it.

I ran into this the first time I did a BIG dts package.  Of course I set it up on the test server first!   LOL.

I do like the aliase idea though.

• Not understood your point, could u please explain more?

Thanks

• Why not use the 'Dynamic Properties Task'?  This functionality makes your DTS extremly flexible.

In this task let the properties of the connections (eg. db name) point to an 'ini-file' somewhere on the server.

when you have a new destination or source just update the ini-file and run the DTS again.

ini-file like :

[catalogs]

destination = <db_name>

source = <db_name>

Good luck,

Sander

• Thanks Gentlemen, i got your point.

Kodi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply