DTS Define Columns

• I have created a DTS package in SQL Server SP3a to export data into a csv file ready to load into Excel.  It works fine except I want to define the precision and scale of some of the fields.  I went into the Transform Data Task Properties and into the Destination tab then clicked Define Columns.  I can run the Populate From Source option without any problems.  However it does not let me overwrite the size. 

Does anybody know how I can get around this ?

Many Thanks

NB. The source connection is a SQL query.

• Can you modify the query such as "select cast(numberfield as decimal(8,3))"?

• Thank you Bill.  That worked like a dream although I am not sure why I still couldn't modify them in the Define Column

• When I first read your post I thought the same, that you should be able to modify columns in "define columns".  Apparently not. 

I also considered suggesting inserting the data in a temp table as an intermediate step since define columns only takes the definitions from the source table - but that would have been a bigger hassle.

Glad to hear you got it to work.

Bill

• I know this is an OLD post, but I was looking up info as I found a "solution" to my problem a colleague was having. We learned there is a bug for certain EM tasks when using through remote desktop. It would continue to crash when clicking the "Define Columns" button. When loaded on my loacl station, it worked flawlessly. My guess is that what was the problem as described in this post.

• Kevin,

Actually, I think your crash when clicking "Define Columns" is a different issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814113/en-us .

A few years ago, I had a problem that sounds like yours: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=19&messageid=14383#bm71433

Since this issue is related to the client tools, it could simply be that the remote machine does not have the latest version ie SP4 or the hotfix, while your local machine is up to date.

• Yeah, he doesn't have EM/SQL Server on his machine. I can't see why it would affect the host computer. The DTS package is being loaded on the host machine and the file is on the host machine. I just tested it from my PC and it worked fine. Weird!

Kudoz!

Kevin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply