DTS changes character > 128

• For you DTS experts out there, please help!

On SQL 2000:  I am copying data from an Oracle server (ERP server) to a SQL server (Reporting server) using DTS.  Straight copy, no conversion.  Yesterday I received a complaint that a person's surname was misspelled on the reports but it was correct on the ERP system. I found that the DTS copy is changing the character from decimal 214 to 86.

Does anybody know how to get around this?

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

• 128 + 86 = 214 ... coincidence ??

What is the datatypes of the source and destination fields. What collation are you using in SQL Server?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Coincidence? I don't think so...

The datatypes are char (30) on both sides. My collation name on SQL is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

5ilverFox
    South Africa

• As Phil pointed out, it looks like the character is being converted to 7-bit ASCII (the high order bit is set to zero).  However, the character Char(214) is supported by the collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

214 dec = 11010110

86 dec  = 01010110

It must be something in the Oracle driver. As I don't have access to Oracle, I can't check. I'd look for a setting related to ASCII/ANSI, etc.

• I have taken your advice and tried different drivers like: MS OLEDB provider for Oracle, Oracle provider for OLEDB, MS ODBC Driver for Oracle and the Oracle ODBC Driver, but everything came back with the same answer.  I also tried different APPS like DTS on SQL2000, SQLPlus on Windows, Crystal Reports and VB6.  I even tried the Crystal Reports direct connector for Oracle, They all returned the same character.  If I use the same query in sqlplus directly on the Oracle server (UNIX) it returns the correct data.  I think I will have to take this query to the Oracle people. 

5ilverFox
    South Africa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply