DTS

• I have a application which adds and view data on remote sql server.

i want to use DTS so that when at client' m/c user clicks on update database, it calls the dts package on sql server and execute it on client's machine.

the package will query the database and copy all the data which that perticular client queried, to the access database at client's machine,

please let me know if that is possible, and if someone can provide the direction on how it can be done, taht will be great.

Regards,

arti

arti

• I don't believe it is possible for many reasons including path to remote machine, permission, etc. However you could if you have experience or get someone else to write an ActiveX application web front end that could do the query get the resultsset back and push into a local access database on the users machine. Or you could fire a DTS package to create an Access database on your web server based on the user and redirect them to it to download. Thos are the only direct options I know of.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• You could do it in DTS, but it would be complicated for the reasons Antares mentioned. the DTS package would execute on the client machine and call the remote SQL Server. How would a package on the server know to write data to your desktop?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I think you could pull the code into VB and then compile as a client app. That would give you the chance to customize the download location.

Andy

• Or build a custom task for DTS and redistribute DTS to your clients.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply