dtexecui

• I have some IT peeps that will run an SSIS package manually from a location on the file system by right clicking it, Open With, Execute Package Utility. On our new SQL 2019 servers they can no longer do that. I looked to make sure dtexecui was installed and it is in this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSIS\150\Binn

I’ve tried reinstalling client tools from the SQL 2019 install files, as well as SQL data tools and the SSIS extensions in Visual Studio but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or know what I’m missing? Thank you!

• Is there an error?  What happens when they try to run the package?  Are they actually running a package - or that is ISPAC file they are trying to run?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• No, they are not able to run it. The Execute Package Utility option just doesn't show up anymore.

• When they right-click, open with - are they navigating to that file and selecting it?  Not sure what you mean when you say it isn't available anymore.  You verified it exists in the right path so all they would have to do is navigate to that location.

Or - create a shortcut on the desktop to that utility and they can click on that to launch.  Then just enter the necessary information.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• you need to make sure you have SQL Server Integration Services installed for it to work.

• Sorry, what I mean is that when they right click the "The Execute Package Utility" option is not available- it doesn't show up anymore. The only thing that shows up is "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector"

I am able to create a shortcut to the The Execute Package Utility on the desktop but then they have to either enter the path of the package or browse to it and it would work, but they are not used to running it that way and if I can figure out how to get that option back for them that would be easier for them.

• Yes, it is.

• Anita Lakhani wrote:

Sorry, what I mean is that when they right click the "The Execute Package Utility" option is not available- it doesn't show up anymore. The only thing that shows up is "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector"

I am able to create a shortcut to the The Execute Package Utility on the desktop but then they have to either enter the path of the package or browse to it and it would work, but they are not used to running it that way and if I can figure out how to get that option back for them that would be easier for them.

It won't show up until it has been selected by the user at least one time.  They need to navigate to the EXE and select it - and if they also check the box to always open those files using that utility then the next time they click on that file it will open in that utility.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• That worked to have the execute utility package to show up but then you still have to browse to the package because it's not populating the file path. I fixed that with this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\DTExecUI.exe\shell\open\command

Put a /F between the command and the "%1".

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\DTExecUI.exe" /F "%1"

Thank you for everyone's help.

• That is good to know - thank you for the update.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying though - the process is: Right-Click on the dtsx package and Open With - from that dialog, navigate to the EXE you want to use and select it.  Check the box to always open files of this type - which then sets the association for you.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply