DTExec.exe Failed to Initialize

• Hi Jon,

I have around 20 SSIS packages that were invoked at the same time by SQL Job. The issue was that the Job kicks off but doesn’t invoke the SSIS package and the job never completes.

The Job is shown as in running state, never fails.

There are no entries in the Windows Application Event Log. The following entry can be seen in the System Log:

Application popup: DTExec.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000043). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Staggering of job has helped.

Regards,

Sunil

• Hi Jon,

Thanks. Yes I have got large number of jobs running. The solution I used is to combined different job as 1 Job with multiple steps. However, for some jobs this is not feasible. The other solution I am adapting is staggering the time of jobs.

That seems to work. But Its not a good solution as such.

Thanks

• I'm having a very similar problem.

I have a job with only one step, that invokes a ETL package.

The ETL deletes some data from the data base (Execute SQL Task) and then invokes a console application (.net 2005) (Script Task).

When the job runs, it never ends and I'm getting the following message on the Eventlog:

[font="Times New Roman"]Application popup: MiConsoleApp.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application. [/font]

The ETL gets to execute, because on the first step it deletes some data from the database (and it's being deleted), but the console application never gets to run.

The job is not schedule to be executed, it's call on demand from a windows application, so I don't have several jobs running at the same time (like the other cases).

Have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanx!!!

• rdevitta (8/24/2010)

I'm having a very similar problem.

I have a job with only one step, that invokes a ETL package.

The ETL deletes some data from the data base (Execute SQL Task) and then invokes a console application (.net 2005) (Script Task).

When the job runs, it never ends and I'm getting the following message on the Eventlog:

[font="Times New Roman"]Application popup: MiConsoleApp.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application. [/font]

The ETL gets to execute, because on the first step it deletes some data from the database (and it's being deleted), but the console application never gets to run.

The job is not schedule to be executed, it's call on demand from a windows application, so I don't have several jobs running at the same time (like the other cases).

Have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanx!!!

Well it doesn't end because of that popup box, I bet as soon as you click ok the package would end. But here is my question, does that console app EVER try and interact with the user? If so I could see it causing this.

CEWII

• rdevitta,

Your error is similar, but the source is definitely different from our cases. I am not sure what would be causing your error, however, the first thing I thought of was maybe there is something wrong with console application. Perhaps it is what Elliot points out, the application is waiting for a user response. Maybe the console application has an unhandled exception.

Does the Windows Event Log SQL Logs reveal anything?

Does your package have any logging?

• The thing is that this has being working just fine for months, this problem began a week ago or so.

The only change is that the dba deleted the dtsx from server and made the import again.

I also change the .config and 1 dll from the console application.

This is all happening in production environment, QA and development works just fine. I also try copying the console application to the development environment and it also work just fine.

About your user interaction question, the application flow works like this:

1. The user clicks a button on a windows application

2. A web service is invoked

3. The web service start the job

4. The job invoke the ETL

5. The ETL deletes some data from the DB and then executes the console application on the server (the user never interact directly with the console)

Everything is working fine until the console execution...

(the job, the ETL and the console application are all hosted on the same server)

Thanx again!!

• The event log is the same as in your case; I only get an Information Event with:

[font="Times New Roman"]Application popup: MiConsolApp.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

[/font]

The ETL has loggin and error handling, but nothing strange happens, the ETL keeps on running state...no error or message is logged after the console invocation...

• Rdevitta,

You have me stumped there. I assumed you posted this question in "SQL Server 2005 Integration Services" forum where there will be better SSIS experts than me.

The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe there is something wrong with the package itself. Since it only runs in Dev and QA then maybe there is a permissions, config, or property that is not set correctly for it to work in production. You could try to log into the console session (via RDP) on the production server so you can see the actual application popup. See what that tells you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I am sure someone in the SSC forums can.

Jon

• Ok, thanks a lot anyway for the info.

I'll try to get access to see the pop up.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply