DTC in VMware

• Hello,

I could not use DTC in VMware. If I started Begin Distributed Transaction between to virtual machine where SQL Servers is running, I got this message:

"The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a]."

I tried with msdtc -uninstall/install but it didn't help.

I seems that everything about DTC is correct (service,.. no error) but I could not perform Distributed Transaction.

VMware was installed by the same image. Maybe it could help as additional information.

So, any help ?

Thanks in advanced.

• What is your operating system and service pack level? What is your SQL Server version and service pack level? This error is not restricted to VMWare. There are some things that need to be done in both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to no longer receive this error.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Operating system is Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with no SevicePacks.

SQL Server is:  both Virtual Machines  - MSDE SP3

• Your OS is why you are getting the error. Things are really locked down in Windows Server 2003, unlike Windows 2000. You'll potentially see this on any Windows Server 2003 system.

See this article:

Error message: OLE DB provider SQLOLEDB was unable to begin a distributed transaction

BTW, this doesn't fix all the issues with DTC. There are quite a few fixes rolled up into SP1 for Windows Server 2003. So even after configuring network access according to this article, if you still see the error, seriously consider installing SP1 (obviously, do it on a non-production system first). When you install SP1, all of the network settings for DTC will be reset, so you will need to go back and reconfigure them.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply