DSO Object Variable or With Block Variable Not Set

• I have an Analysis Services Processing task that performs an incremental update on a partition in a data cube. When I try to run this task, I continually get an error to the effect of "DSO Object Variable or With Block Variable Not Set". Has anyone else run into this problem? I haven't been able to find anything on MSDN or the Knowledge Base in regard to this error in a DTS Analysis Services Processing Task.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• Is there any Active scripting in you process. This is the error I see when creating and object that calls a COM object that is not properly done.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• There are two activex tasks in the package...but these are set to execute on the main package thread as they should and they run fine...any other ideas on what I should check? Or how I would go about finding a COM object that may not be properly done? And can you explain what you mean by 'properly done' please? do you mean not cleaned up properly after it completes? By the way I am running SP2 for SQL Server and Analysis Services (installed both update exe's)...

Thank you!

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• In 'Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS' by Timothy Peterson, pg. 414, he states that you can not do an incremental update on multiple objects. I haven't been able to check it yet to see if this is the answer to the problem, but I was (am) trying to do an incremental update on the shared dimensions. According to Peterson, to do this one has to create a separate task for each shared dimension. In selecting the Dimensions folder in the tree you can process all the dimensions with one task, but you can only do a process that rebuilds the dimension structure. Since I had elected to incrementally update the shared dimensions in the same process as the incremental update on the cube, I am thinking this could be the cause of the problem as the analysis server engine may not be able to actuall create the requisite object variable if there is more than one shared dimension. Does this seem to be a correct assumption on your part? Have you come across this behavior before? I will try doing an incremental update of the dimensions through Analysis Services manager and then run my incremental update process in DTS on the cube and see if it completes properly. I will report my findings here...

Thank you,

Michael

quote:

Is there any Active scripting in you process. This is the error I see when creating and object that calls a COM object that is not properly done.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• I have to find the example but when I say properly done I meant the way you initialize the COM object. Or you may have a COM object that is in use during the process that is not properly registered. The big problem is what object. Try what you stated and let us know and I will dig a bit if need to. Also may try reinstalling the MDAC or latest service pack (reinstall if already up to date) to see if clears issue.

• Okay...the plot thickens! I attempted to process the cube in Analysis Services Manager. I first wanted to see if I could open it for editing...when I attempt that I get an error msg "InitDimSlices: An unexpected internal error has occurred. Please restart the application." What do you make of this?

quote:

I have to find the example but when I say properly done I meant the way you initialize the COM object. Or you may have a COM object that is in use during the process that is not properly registered. The big problem is what object. Try what you stated and let us know and I will dig a bit if need to. Also may try reinstalling the MDAC or latest service pack (reinstall if already up to date) to see if clears issue.

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• It just keeps getting more interesting...if I click on the cube in Analysis Services and select Process, I get the 'Object Variable or With Block Variable Not Set' message...any ideas what could be causing this? Apparently it is not a function of the DTS package as I had originally thought...

quote:

Okay...the plot thickens! I attempted to process the cube in Analysis Services Manager. I first wanted to see if I could open it for editing...when I attempt that I get an error msg "InitDimSlices: An unexpected internal error has occurred. Please restart the application." What do you make of this?

quote:

I have to find the example but when I say properly done I meant the way you initialize the COM object. Or you may have a COM object that is in use during the process that is not properly registered. The big problem is what object. Try what you stated and let us know and I will dig a bit if need to. Also may try reinstalling the MDAC or latest service pack (reinstall if already up to date) to see if clears issue.

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• That then confrms that it is a COM object DLL that is the issue. The only problem is I am not familiar with InitDimSlices and find no documentation on it or what DLL it is in. The DLL needs to be reregistered. These might possible do the trick. GO thru the folder where the Analysis Services executables are stored and run RegSvr32 against all the dlls.

Ex.

RegSvr32 ServBat.dll

If not go then try installing the latest service pack and see if reregisters the DLL. Last ditch reinstall Analysis Services and see if corrects the issue. Only other thing would be if we knew exactly which DLL was being called to fix.

• I was finally able to get it working! I tried re-registering the dll's but that didn't work, re-installed AS but that didn't work either, finally ended up deleting the cube and creating a new one, pulled in the shared dimensions and it all processed without error. Then I went to the DTS package and ran the AS Process Cube task and it completed without problems as well....go figure! Thank you for your help and insights though...

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• Strange things do happen, glad you found a solution.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply