Dropping Event Sessions

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Dropping Event Sessions

• Nice one to start the week on, thanks Steve

• From BOL:
    Remarks
    When you drop an event session, all configuration information, such as targets and session parameters, is completely removed.

• When you stop a session that uses an in-memory target, such as the ring buffer, bucketing, event pairing, or synchronous event counter targets, all the information stored in the session's buffer (the target_data column of the sys.dm_xe_session_targets DMV) will be lost. To access event data after you stop the session, you should either save the data before you stop the session, or configure the session to use the file target.

• I'm not sure what the last few posts are meant to mean. If the question or answer wrong? The question asks about the data in the file target, not the ring buffer, not configuration information.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, May 7, 2018 8:25 AM

I'm not sure what the last few posts are meant to mean. If the question or answer wrong? The question asks about the data in the file target, not the ring buffer, not configuration information.

It's related to the last sentence in my post "To access event data after you stop the session, you should either save the data before you stop the session, or configure the session to use the file target." Versus the explanation for the correct answer "Data in the file target will persist in the file."

• There is a file target. That's the point in the question. It asks  about persisting data in the file target, not the ring buffer.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, May 7, 2018 8:52 AM

There is a file target. That's the point in the question. It asks  about persisting data in the file target, not the ring buffer.

Thanks Steve. I understand now.

• If you stop the session - then drop the event - do you not have exactly the same result ?

• Dropping the event means the session exists. Dropping the event session removes all the meta data and memory targets, but not the file targets.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply