Dropping a database

• Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/rsharma/droppingadatabase.asp

• Hi Rahul,

I will find the script very useful,tho i have one question,

what are u executing when u said :

EXEC SetMessages

Thanks.

• Patti:

The script has an error....I was using SetMessages as my stored proc for having my custom error messages. You can remove that piece of code from the first proc usp_DropDB and you will be fine or alternatively you can make a change to the usp_ForceDropDb stored procedure and replace the statement in the end:

"EXEC usp_DropDB @DatabaseName"

with

SET @DatabaseName = QUOTENAME(@DatabaseName)

EXEC ('DROP DATABASE ' + @DatabaseName )

Hth,

Rahul

Rahul Sharma

Senior Database Administrator

Manhattan Associates

Atlanta, GA

• Hi, thanks for this one!

Mnd goal is to publish a content database from staging to live, safely, from an admin web page. The wrinkle is that the DB must remain alive on the web during the process ... I plan to modify the DSNs on the fly.

One small point, when I use this in SQL 7 it returns an error "You can't kill your own process."

This error was causing the calling DTS package to fail on this step.

I simply added a clause to the SELECT of spids to exclude "@@SPID" which is the current process.

SELECT spid

FROM master.dbo.sysprocesses

WHERE dbid =

(SELECT dbid FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases

WHERE name = @DatabaseName)

AND spid <> @@SPID

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It worked fine and once again I appreciate the resource, I don't know much T-SQL ... I'm actually a web guy using Cold Fusion with SQL Server.

- Jon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply