Drop Database

• When i drop a database using "DROP DATABASE mydbname" command in query analyzer, the database and the mdf/ldf files get deleted successfully. But when I use the same command using asp.net page, the databse gets deleted but the files do not delete.

I am not able to understand why does SQL behave differently for the same command.

I have used the 'sa' login for both the tasks. I have also tried deleting the database using SQLDMO but there too the database is deleted but the files remain.

To keep my code safe, I have also killed any processes running on the database being dropped.

The code that I have used is as follows:

---------

Try

Dim cmdKillDatabaseProcess As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand("sp_kill_db_process", cn)

cmdKillDatabaseProcess.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

With cmdKillDatabaseProcess.Parameters

.Add(New SqlParameter("@dbname", SqlDbType.VarChar, 30, ParameterDirection.Input, False, 0, 0, "", DataRowVersion.Current, strDbName))

End With

cmdKillDatabaseProcess.ExecuteNonQuery()

cmdKillDatabaseProcess.Parameters.Clear()

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.toString)

End Try

Try

Dim strsqlDropDatabase As String = "drop database " & strDbName

Dim cmdDropDatabase As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand(strsqlDropDatabase, cn)

cmdDropDatabase.ExecuteNonQuery()

Catch ex As Exception

Response.Write(ex.toString)

End Try

---------

And I get the following error if I try to re-create the database with the same name:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot create file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\DATA\paras_db2.mdf' because it already exists. [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check previous errors.

PLEASE HELP

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Permissions maybe? Havent tested, but maybe even though the account has drop db permission it doesn't have delete permissions on the disk.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply