Drop constraint

• hi guys, i'm trying to modify a clustered index defined on a table by adding more columns.

however i get this error whenever i try to drop its' contraints.

The constraint 'PK_Patient_Info' is being referenced by table 'Scheduled_Appointment', foreign key constraint 'FK_Scheduled_Appointment_Patient_Info'.

using...

table Patient_Info

drop

constraint PK_Patient_Info

create

unique clustered index PK_Patient_Info on Patient_Info(KPAIDS_NO,Docket_num)

any help in solving this problem is greatly appreciated

thx much!

• A foreign key constraint cannot be applied if the Parent table does NOT have a unique constraint of any kind.  By removing the PK, you violate that rule.

Try this :

create unique clustered index PK_Patient_Info on Patient_Info(KPAIDS_NO,Docket_num) WITH DROP EXISTING

• i already did try but got the following error, i forget to mention that the index was created on a primary key.

Cannot recreate index 'PK_Patient_Info'. The new index definition does not match the constraint

• I didn't know that.  You'll have to drop/recreate all the objects that the server complains about.

• Or disable the FK but then after you do you will probably need to run dbcc checkconstraint on the FK to mark it as trusted

* Noel

• An alternative to dbcc checkconstraint in this case is if you aks SQL Server to check the trustedness of the foreign key when you reenable it. So instead of:

ALTER TABLE tableReferencing CHECK CONSTRAINT FK_References

type:

ALTER TABLE tableReferencing WITH CHECK CHECK CONSTRAINT FK_References

Note the WITH CHECK. This will set the foreign key state back to trusted, if the data that is in your tables satisfies the referential itegrity.

(shameless plug: some more examples on the states of foreign keys are on Foreign Keys and their states )

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply