Drop a temporal table

• Thanks for the question. It had me spend some time reading about temporal tables.

• Richard Warr (7/16/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2015)

Hmmm, people have actually selected "drop the database". :w00t:

That would certainly achieve the stated goal.

Plus some other ones.......

It's the best option!!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Got full credit.

Was eager to know that is this an advanced level compared to CDC?

Thanks.

• Really good one, Koen. Thanks!

• Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2015)

Shameless plug: after posting this QotD, I took the time to write a blog post about it:

How to drop a temporal table[/url].

Shameless response: that was how I obtained the answer. Thanks for an introduction to temporal tables.

• SQL-DBA-01 (7/16/2015)

Got full credit.

Was eager to know that is this an advanced level compared to CDC?

CDC and temporal tables server different purposes.

Temporal tables give a full history and archive of your data, while CDC is meant to track all changes over a short period of time.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/16/2015)

Hmmm, people have actually selected "drop the database". :w00t:

Sure, but as of now only 4%. Given that QoTD answers usually run with more that 5% picking the looniest option, it's not at all surprising that 4% of people have selected it - and not terribly surpirising that it's only 4%, as several of those who otherwise would have picked the loony option will have realised that this is so new that they have to look it up and so will not have picked the loony option. 😀 (or do I mean :crazy: ?).

Anyway, for me it was a good question because although I'd heard of this feature I knew nothing about it, and now I've read it up.

edit: I don't mean I read up dropping it; I read up all I could find in the MSDN library on Temporal Tables (and absolutely nothing in MSDN Social - I filtered for library only when searching, having too often wasted time reading irrelevant theorising by people who hadn't a clue). And I'm annoyed that Bing thinks that "temporary" is what I want when I say "temporal" - I really must try to work out how to persuade my browser to make the MSDN search function use DuckDuckGo instead of Bing (or at least look to see if there's the remotest chance of it being possible).

Tom

• Hugo Kornelis (7/16/2015)

If the company stores data it cannot afford to lose in a CTP, then leaving the company would definitely be my goal. 🙂

Ah, you've no sense of adventure, Hugo! 😀

Tom

• TomThomson (7/16/2015)

edit: I don't mean I read up dropping it; I read up all I could find in the MSDN library on Temporal Tables (and absolutely nothing in MSDN Social - I filtered for library only when searching, having too often wasted time reading irrelevant theorising by people who hadn't a clue). And I'm annoyed that Bing thinks that "temporary" is what I want when I say "temporal" - I really must try to work out how to persuade my browser to make the MSDN search function use DuckDuckGo instead of Bing (or at least look to see if there's the remotest chance of it being possible).

Google has the same issue. Tries changing temporal into temporary all the time. Annoying.

• Koen Verbeeck (7/17/2015)

TomThomson (7/16/2015)

Google has the same issue. Tries changing temporal into temporary all the time. Annoying.

I found that too. Thought I was going crazy initially before I saw that Google had decided I didn't know what I wanted to look for :hehe:

• Heals (7/17/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/17/2015)

TomThomson (7/16/2015)

I found that too. Thought I was going crazy initially before I saw that Google had decided I didn't know what I wanted to look for :hehe:

Even DuckduckGo includes pages with "temporary table" in the results, but it does at least return several pages on temporal tables at the top of its list (unli=ke Bing, which puts stacks of "temporary" stuff before the first "temporal table" page.

But having looked at things a bit I guess it is easier just to include "-temporary" in the search string.

Tom

• TomThomson (7/17/2015)

Even DuckduckGo includes pages with "temporary table" in the results, but it does at least return several pages on temporal tables at the top of its list (unli=ke Bing, which puts stacks of "temporary" stuff before the first "temporal table" page.

But having looked at things a bit I guess it is easier just to include "-temporary" in the search string.

But my blog post starts with "No no, I didn’t say temporary, but temporal!", so that's not going to work 🙂

TomThomson (7/17/2015)

But my blog post starts with "No no, I didn’t say temporary, but temporal!", so that's not going to work 🙂

After fiddling with the search string I think that's why your blog ended up right at the top of the list 😛

TomThomson (7/17/2015)

But it does sort of work for MSDN Library searches (only "sort of": maybe somewhere in msdn library someday it will be documented whether one can make a temporary table temporal). 🙂

Tom

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply