Drives disappearing overnight

• Has anyone experienced this? We just migrated to a new SQL Server last Saturday. Old server was standalone HP ProLiant, about 5 years old. New server is Lenovo Flex System x240 M5. New server has three four logical drives (OS, inside server, Data, Logs, and Tempdb, all in separate flex node). It is not using the shared storage, the external drives are all in a "sidecar", the node right next to it on the rack. The server worked fine for three days. Overnight on the fourth day at 11:28 PM, the three logical drives for the Data, Logs, and Tempdb all disappeared. Same thing happened the next night at 12:30 AM. Same thing happened last night at 12:30 AM. I don't know what to do other than fail back to the old server.

This did occur one time as we were prepping the new SQL Server, about a month and a half ago. The sys admin applied some firmware patches and it had not occurred since then. This is during a maintenance window so the applications are offline, but we are running index defrag and update stats.

Any ideas? The sys admins and IBM are working on this, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to investigate.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• Are there any scheduled jobs (windows, backups, etc...) running at 12:30? Any information in the event logs around that time?

• There is almost nothing running at that time. The event log says "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort5". The source of that event is megasas2, event code 11.

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• Sounds like you either have a faulty controller connecting to the drives or needs a firmware upgrade based on the error. I have no experience with Lenovo Flex systems or systems like this in any capacity, but the error logged certainly points to a faulty raid controller that is connecting the external drives.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply