Drill Through question

• I'm trying to learn more about RS and evidently this is such a basic thing that it's not clearly documented pretty much anywhere that I can find.

For my test, I'm trying to create a report that has the following:

Cust_ID, Phone, Fname,Lname

I'd like to create a parameter or whatever I need in order to call another report to display the Customers Historical Information

Cust_ID,OrderID,Sold_Date,Paid_Date

Obviously linked via Cust_ID.

Can someone write a quick walkthrough for this?  Or point me in the right direction because either this is more difficult than I believe, or I'm brainless and forgot how to query Google effectively.

• Hi Terry,

what you are looking for is the 'navigation' tab in advanced properties for the object you want to click on to launch the other report. (I am guessing Cust_ID). In that tab, you get some options as to what will happen when a user clicks on Cust_ID. I think the easiest one is going to be 'Jump to Report'. Click that radio button, select the report to jump to from your list, then click 'parameters'. From there you select the Cust_ID parameter (which will be in your 'jump to' report) and enter something like =Fields.Cust_ID as the parameter value, which means it'll pass the Cust_ID you clicked on to the other report.

Hope this gets you started.

Matt.

• Matt,

That is exactly what the book I'm trying to learn from says to do, however when I click to the next report I receive an error about the Paramater being named the same as a field name (paraphrasing because I don't have that computer up and running currently).

I've tried creating a paramater in my Customer form named:

CustomerID = Fields!Cust_ID.Value

and/or

Cust_ID=Fields!Cust_ID.Value

and both times when I click on them it tries to open the secondary report (History) and I recieve an error.  Is there something special I have to do on the History report to make sure it realizes that a paramater is being passed in so that it knows to do something?  I've tried changing it's paramaters, adding a where clause to the query,etc and just can't figure out the last tiny step that I'm obviously overlooking.

• If only I drank Coffee I might have figured out what I was doing wrong awhile back.

Found what the root of my problem was.

• Well, what was it? C'mon then, share!

Matt.

• The paramater declaration in my Customer doc = Cust_ID

was supposed to be used in my SQL select query in the history

IE select * from History where Cust_ID=@Cust_ID (I didn't realize that the paramater meant that I was declaring a variable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply