DR for SQL server 2005 and 2008 Clustering, any suggestion?

• Hi All,

First of all I am not a good friend of SQL server clustering; for stand alone or replication servers, it is easy for me to handle all DR.

I set up sql server 2000 and 2005 clustering for 2-3 times in the past but never find the problem, everything went well, Network team set up the DR; and this is my big mistake that I did not get involve at that time.

Now I move to the new company, I has been asked about DR plan for 2 -3 nodes SQL server clustering.

I try to set up my virtual Server to test both SQL2005/Windows2003 and SQL2008R2/Windows2008, but still has the problem with Virtual Server that I use (surprise to see that I am also has the problem with Virtual server 2005 R2 and SQL2005/windows2003 as well, which I has no problem to set it up in the same machine 3 years ago,???,now with up to date all securities and Virtual Server 2005R2, I believe I use Virtual server 2005 at that time.)

I have 2 problems that I need help as follow.

1) Anyone has white paper about set up SQLserevr2008/Windows2008 on Virtual server (or VMware), please let me know the link.

2) I need to get some idea about the DR for SQL server 2005/Windows2003 and SQL server 2996R2/Windows2008. For User databases should have no problem for restore, the problem that I face is how to handle system databases. What I should do? Install in every node? I see some document to install master database but I do not know whether I should install in all nodes.

I will try to search the documents from the company, I am also try to set up test environment so I can get my feet wet.

I hope after my virtual PC coming up, I can test all of my questions.

But I really need to know all broad idea about SQL clustering DR.

Please help, any comment will be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• Maybe I am miss understanding,

Clustering should not be your DR solution, It is designed to be for high availability. If your SAN goes down you have an Issue.

I have always set up Both clustering and log shipping going. Log shipping to of site location is my DR. This gives you both HA and DR.

As for question number 2, I am not to sure what you are asking?

• jarupan (8/8/2010)

1) Anyone has white paper about set up SQLserevr2008/Windows2008 on Virtual server (or VMware), please let me know the link.

It's your lucky day!! Check the 2 links below for further details

Deploying a Windows 2003\SQL 2005 cluster using VMWare Server 2

Deploying a Windows 2008\SQL 2008 cluster using VMWare Server 2

456789psw (8/9/2010)

Maybe I am miss understanding,

Clustering should not be your DR solution, It is designed to be for high availability. If your SAN goes down you have an Issue.

I have always set up Both clustering and log shipping going. Log shipping to of site location is my DR. This gives you both HA and DR.

As for question number 2, I am not to sure what you are asking?

Geographically dispersed clusters allow DR but for SQL Server do have limitations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for answering.

1) Yes, I agree it sound like High Availability, but I also need DR from this Clustering.

some answers in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldisasterrecovery/thread/5b261deb-521c-44ca-9495-814002623049

2) The question number 2 is close to question number 1, sorry I quite confuse at 2 am today that I wrote that question.

By the way, my VM is up so I can test all my issues.

Thanks again.

• One more reason I failed to mention, If you set up Log shipping after you set up the DR you have a place to fail over to when you need to due patches or upgrades of any type on the Cluster..

for tips on the install go here as 2008 cluster has changed a bit... for the better

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1687

• Thank again, everyone for your help.

Have a great day.:-D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply