Download a file from HTTPS using a certificate.

• Hi there,

I've been given a request to connect to a HTTPS URL to download a CSV file. Before I could connect to the specific URL I needed to install a certificate that the vendor provided. The URL I'm using looks something like the following (I think that means it's a Web Service?):

https://test.testing.org.nz/reports/Export/CSVExporter.aspx?StartDate=2011-12-01&UserID=0000

So I can do this in Internet Explorer well enough however the download needs to be automated and run each day. As you might be able to guess the StartDate parameter in the URL needs to be modified each day as well so we only get the most recent data.

I figured I might be able to do something like this with SSIS as eventually the CSV file needs to go into a database.

I've tried the HTTP Connection Manager however this does not seem to work, when I put in the Server URL (as shown above with slight changes), ticked the box to use a certificate and then specified that I want to use a proxy server supplying credentials when I press "Test Connection" I get the error "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.".

So reading that I'd figured well it did say HTTP Connection Manager and not HTTPS Connection Manager, I guess it does not work for HTTPS. I was wanting to use the Web Service Task however it needs an HTTP Connection Manager so I guess that was ruled out.

Next I figure that I'd have to write a VB.NET script and use the WebClient class. After a couple of days searching about I can't find any examples which help me. I've written code to connect to a HTTP web site and download a file which works (shown below) but I don't know how to do the following:

1. Connect to an HTTPS web site.

2. Pass a certificate for authentication.

3. Use the web service (I think it's a web service, sorry my web knowledge it a little off) to download the file to a specified location.

4. Should the proxy be required pass the proxy information.

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Math

Imports System.Net

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

<System.AddIn.AddIn("ScriptMain", Version:="1.0", Publisher:="", Description:="")> _

<System.CLSCompliantAttribute(False)> _

Partial Public Class ScriptMain

Inherits Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.ScriptTask.VSTARTScriptObjectModelBase

Enum ScriptResults

Success = Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.DTSExecResult.Success

Failure = Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.DTSExecResult.Failure

End Enum

Public Sub Main()

Dim webConnection As New WebClient

Try

With webConnection

.BaseAddress = "http://www.google.co.nz/logos/2012/WomensDay-2012-hp.jpg"

End With

Catch ex As Exception

Dts.Events.FireError(0, "Problem connecting to website: ", ex.Message, "", 0)

End Try

Try

With webConnection

.DownloadFile(.BaseAddress, "D:\WomensDay-2012-hp.jpg")

End With

Catch ex As Exception

Dts.Events.FireError(0, "Problem downloading file: ", ex.Message, "", 0)

End Try

Dts.TaskResult = ScriptResults.Success

End Sub

End Class

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be magic.

Kind regards,

Chris

• Well, at the end, this question has not much to do with SSIS or SQL, so maybe you have more luck in a .NET forum?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Hi there,

Indeed, I'd figured that may be the way of it. In any case, thank you for your comment, I'll give the .NET forums a try.

Kind regards,

Chris

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply