Downgrading from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2012

• There are also the fundamental issues of newer structures not working in older versions, and how do you handle that move. I think it's easy to say we can go forward/backward with data, but potentially there could be issues, and one thing above all else, you cannot have data loss.

Not to mention, there's little value here. No benefit for Microsoft and not a commercially viable product for anyone else.

• For the record, using your SQL 2014 license key to install the equivalent version of SQL 2012 doesn't work. At least not in the situation I'm looking at, where someone has purchased SQL 2014 Standard for their DR site, and the primary site is on SQL 2012. Clearly, this creates issues with any sane disaster recovery model, so we need to look at downgrading the license. It seems that Microsoft (or the vendor that sold the software) need to action the license downgrade and provide a key. Without a working key, you are boned, whether you have the media or otherwise. The real question at the start of the thread should have been: how do I action a license downgrade from SQL 2014 to 2012?

• Please note: 3 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:22 AM

Please note: 3 year old thread.

Yes, apologies about that. As the thread came up in a search result quite close to the top of google, I thought some clarification would be useful.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply