Downgrade SCOM Database

• Hello-

My manager has given me the task of downgrading our SCOM database which is SQL Enterprise 2012, he would like for me to downgrade it to SQL 2012 Standard.

We also have to SCOM ACS and he'd like for me to downgrade that database from SQL Enterprise 2012 to SQL Standard.

Can you guys let me know the best way to accomplish this ?

Thanks

Tech Guy

• First why you need to go back with SQL 2012 standard from SQL 2012 Enterprise.

Please follow this link and compare standard and enterprise edition feature

http://www.midnightdba.com/Jen/2014/03/the-case-for-sql-server-2012-enterprise-vs-standard-edition/

You need to consider lot of things

1) You are taking about instance level or database level

2) You need solid plan for rolling back as well if something goes wrong

3) you have to take full backup of all database including system for Your safety and validate backup file as well you are taking about instance level

or

4)you are taking about particular database level then take full backup and validate those backup as well

and so on...list goes on....

• I am with you here, but bear in mind that my manager has assigned this task to me. It's not my call to downgrade, my manager made the call so I'm in between a rock and hard place, LOL !

Is there a downgrade path that you know of ?

Regards

Tech Guy

• Is this for Instance level or Database level ?

sorry for typo error in last thread.

• If you are taking advantage of database options that are allowed in Enterprise Edition it is not possible to downgrade a db from Enterprise to Standard Edition. There is a command you can run against the database that will tell you if you are. I just cannot find the script I have that will tell you.

Anyone else know what it is?

• Here is the command to run against the databases you want to downgrade from Ent to Std edition

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features

• hcip.77 (3/4/2015)

First why you need to go back with SQL 2012 standard from SQL 2012 Enterprise.

Licensing cost is the first reason I see that might explain why a manager wants the edition downgraded from Enterprise to Standard.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• We run SCOM just fine on Standard Edition. No sense wasting an Enterprise license on it.

• Hi,

as long as you aren't using any features associated with the Enterprise version you could simply take a backup and restore it on the downgrade machine.

• hcip.77 (3/4/2015)

First why you need to go back with SQL 2012 standard from SQL 2012 Enterprise.

Licensing costs is a good reason. Especially if the machine is running on a VM.....

• The edition downgrade from Enterprise to Standard is supported for SQL 2014, but I didn't see it listed for SQL 2012. So you may not be able to do a simple in-place downgrade just by clicking things in the installer.

The typical advice is to uninstall Enterprise and install Standard, then reattach all the databases. Or set up a new Standard edition server and copy/restore all the databases. Either way you have to duplicate all the logins and other server configuration.

Brave souls may attempt to save the Enterprise system database files, uninstall Enterprise and install Standard, patch the Standard edition server to exactly the same build number, then shut down SQL and swap in the old system database files. If it works, all the logins, SQL Agent jobs, SSIS packages, etc. are preserved.

The best reference I've found is http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2014/08/sql-server-edition-change-standard-edition-enterprise-evaluation/

One comment on that site claims you can do it with a registry hack, no reinstallation required. You'd need more courage than I have to do that on a production server.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply