Doubts related to file group

• I want to some details regarding the file groups and its use

1)Does creating the file group requires extra work and effort while doing backup and restore?

2)Does the file group can be used to increase the performance of sql server if database size is around 2 to 5 Gb? Or file group are only necessary if size is so large?

3)Can i backup and restore each file group separately.? Can i restore only secondary file group without restoring primary?

4)Can ldf files have file group?

• winmansoft (1/16/2013)

1)Does creating the file group requires extra work and effort while doing backup and restore?

No

2)Does the file group can be used to increase the performance of sql server if database size is around 2 to 5 Gb? Or file group are only necessary if size is so large?

Probably not, unless the files are on separate physical drives, regardless of size.

3)Can i backup and restore each file group separately.?

Yes, but you can only restore properly if the DB is in full recovery model or the filegroups you're backing up separately are read only.

Can i restore only secondary file group without restoring primary?

No. Primary contains the database's metadata and system tables. Can't restore a DB without that

4)Can ldf files have file group?

No, and more than one log file is a silly thing anyway.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply