Doubt in compile

• Hai...

if i execute a procedure as my code starts as follows...

PROCEDURE PROC__INS_FUNCTION

GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects

WHERE id = OBJECT_ID('PROC_INS_FUNCTION')

AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, 'IsProcedure') = 1)

DROP PROCEDURE PROC_INS_FUNCTION

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE PROC_INS_FUNCTION

()

after executing(creating) above procedure.. ... will it clear existing cache?....will it create new execution plan when next time this sp called?... any help on this?

How can i make sure a stored procedure is compiled or not?. when it is compiled?

Thanks in advance...

• well, your proc's constructions not going to work, but i realize that was a prototype.

you cannot have a GO command in the body of a procedure; to do what you want, you;d have to switch to dynamic sql to drop and create.

aside from that, yes, the first tjme the proc is called after that, a new execution plan will be created; the old plan would no longer exist. you'd also lose any permissions assignments on the proc, so you'd want to script those out too.

can i ask why you are doing this:? the reason i ask is i suspect you are seeing a procedure that is slowing down over time, and your solution has been to drop and recreate it.

the slowing down is usually attributable to out of date statistics...if you update the statistics on the tables the proc was using more often, you wouldn't have the issue, i suspect.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowel,

We are making all business logic of the project into SP format.. so all logic is written as a SP.. having following skelton...

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sysobjects

WHERE id = OBJECT_ID('PROC_PERSON_CREATION')

AND OBJECTPROPERTY(id, 'IsProcedure') = 1)

DROP PROCEDURE PROC_PERSON_CREATION

GO

CREATE PROCEDURE PROC_PERSON_CREATION

(

# parameters will be here

)

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE # local variable declaration here

BEGIN

#validation will be here

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRANSACTION

# every transactions will be written here

COMMIT

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

IF @@TRANCOUNT>0

ROLLBACK

#exception logic

END CATCH

END

---------------------------------------------->Procedure Ends here<----

1. How good is my SP skelton?

2. How can i make sure wether the procedure is executed or not?

3. how can i make sure procedure is recompiled to the latest modification?

Kindly help me on this....

Thanks in Advance... thanks for ur valuable ideas.

• BeginnerBug (3/4/2011)

1. How good is my SP skelton?

2. How can i make sure wether the procedure is executed or not?

3. how can i make sure procedure is recompiled to the latest modification?

1. I believe you are referring to the format. Looks good. How about adding some comment about what the SP does?

2. Do you mean - how to make sure if the create procedure script is executed? You can check the messages window after executing the script to do this.

3. Recompiled to the latest modification? :unsure:

- arjun

https://sqlroadie.com/

• When you alter or drop a stored proc, any cached execution plan is immediately invalidated, you don't have to do anything to cause that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply