double take corrupts .rar files

• this is probably not too sql-centric, but it probably applies to a lot of people with homegrown backup/compress/move strategies.

I'm trying to figure out why when i replicate a .rar file to another machine on my network using Double Take (http://www.nsisoftware.com/), I can't open it ("... file is corrupt"), but when I just "move" using the command line and a UNC path, it opens fine.

Has anyone experienced this before? Am I missing something obvious?

• I do get similar error when FTP zip or database backup files when I forget to use Binary in FTP and it downloads as ASCII files.

I don't know how this Double Take is working but check if it has ASCII / Binary options somewhere

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Did you make sure that the replication set was fully mirrored and disconnected before you attempted to open the file?

Could there be a difference in WinRar versions or anything like that>?

I've been using DoubleTake for a while now but I don't use .rar files.  It seems to replicate zip file without a problem and if I understand the technology it shouldn't matter at all what the file type is.

• What version of DoubleTake are you using? After we switched to 4.4 most of our problems went away.

In the Connection Manager, what are your settings on the mirror tab? Are you doing Full Mirror or File Differences? Is the radio button File Differences with Checksum selected?

SJ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply