Double Check

• I believe that performing tech transfer to my teammates is part of my professional responsibility. I have even gotten jobs to perform precisely that task. I do not consider my job done until all members on the team are at least as knowledgable as I. Tech employees that cannot perform this function frankly are not very valuable.

On the occasions that I was the only technical person at the job site, my tech transfer duties were obvious: to leave all my work in such a state that a) the users could use it, and b) another consultant could pick it up and run with it.

• We've actually had certain cross training nixed by SOX compliance people.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• As previous posters have mentioned about being 'unpromotable', if you are indispensible, you are tying yourself to your current position. If you can train others on how to perform your job function, you open up the possibility of movement within or without the company, you gain the respect of your peers and management appreciates your effort (or they're not worth their salt, in which case why do you want to work for them?)

Plus, assuming that a position opens up higher in your department, now you've created a much smoother department to run for yourself, as the next guy you hire to replace yourself now has full info on how to get the job done right.

Again (quoting myself from a different thread) it's always about the money, even when it's not. Smoother processes means less money spent (downtime/staff time/etc) means better business margin and the ability to spend the money where it is needed the most.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jay holovacs (6/18/2008)

We've actually had certain cross training nixed by SOX compliance people.

Like what, may I be so bold as to ask? Is it cross training on processes that are in violation of SOX, and they're trying to keep a low profile?

Also, is the process documented? If it's well documented, and they're containing liability due to privacy issues, that's different, and theoretically the next guy will still be able to pick up the pieces after you leave, while not actually "needing" to learn it now.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I'd not think that cross training is prohibited, but cross training to some people.

You can't have the dev DBA take over for the production DBA. The Windows sysadmin or someone else should be the backup, knowing they can ask questions of the dev DBA, but the dev can't have rights.

• I don't have the full details, it was with our AS400 people (not my area, and I don't know for a fact the the SOX guy was right) but it was something to the effect that people with access to the check approvals processes could not also have access to the check issuing process.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

I don't have the full details, it was with our AS400 people (not my area, and I don't know for a fact the the SOX guy was right) but it was something to the effect that people with access to the check approvals processes could not also have access to the check issuing process.

Sounds like that would follow Steve's post too, and looks like a valid SOX control to me, so you can't issue a check to your brother-in-law (not that you would, the jerk!)

... it was something to the effect that people with access to the check approvals processes could not also have access to the check issuing process.

How appropriate for this thread. A process to double check the cheques.

Sorry, I've already got my coat.... :blush:

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply