Don't Be a Ghost

• Peter Schott (4/17/2013)

fundpc (4/16/2013)

I say it’s a sad commentary that we now are expected to “post” so that lazy HR types can scan our private thoughts for juicy tidbits they can use against us. My wife had a friend who interviewed for an IT position recently where the HR person demanded she give up her Facebook login. REALLY….

Related to this, giving up your Facebook login is against their terms of service. Simple answer, along with just telling them "no". I realize that may not land the job, but unless desperate for work, I don't think I'd want to work for someone who made this a term of employment.

I'd never give up my Facebook credentials for a job. I use that for personal notes and sharing, and it is not set to public for a reason.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/17/2013)

Peter Schott (4/17/2013)

fundpc (4/16/2013)

I say it’s a sad commentary that we now are expected to “post” so that lazy HR types can scan our private thoughts for juicy tidbits they can use against us. My wife had a friend who interviewed for an IT position recently where the HR person demanded she give up her Facebook login. REALLY….

Related to this, giving up your Facebook login is against their terms of service. Simple answer, along with just telling them "no". I realize that may not land the job, but unless desperate for work, I don't think I'd want to work for someone who made this a term of employment.

I'd never give up my Facebook credentials for a job. I use that for personal notes and sharing, and it is not set to public for a reason.

I would simply refuse the request and end the interview.

• Pretty sure it's not against the law in most places to ask. It is against FB's terms of service to give out your login credentials, though. I'm with Steve, though. It's not worth it.

• Ask to see their credit report in exchange for your FB credentials.

Cheers

• Exactly right jfogel. One silly demand deserves another. Whenever I hear stories like this I am always reminded of the scene in "Donnie Brasco" where Donnie (played by Johnny Depp) enters a Japanese restaurant and is told by the Japanese host to "take off your shoes" to which Donnie quickly replied "take off your pants". 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply