Domain Server Struck By Lightening(!) - SQL Server Security is trashed

• One of our sites domain server went down today. On getting a new domain server up they found no one could access the server via our applications. Looking at it via Enterprise Manager (on the server) its as though some users have lost their privileges for example one Windows user that has system administrator privs could see the users on a database while sa couldn't!?*^% Whenever the users try to login via ADO they get an error saying the connection is closed? Prior to the domain server going down everything was fine. At this point I'm suggesting a rebuild of SQL Server and reattaching the databases? Anyone got any ideas?

Phil Nicholas

• If it was struck by lightning there is a good chance of hardware issues. I would start there as you may need to replace the physical server.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I agree with Brian. You may be able to do some sort of repair, but likely there is corruption on that box. I might take it offline ASAP to be sure nothing weird replicates to other servers.

• The domain server was taken out by a power surge, caused by lightening strike, the server with SQL Server on was Ok apparently. This was in a london local government site - they dont really appreciate the value of the data they store i.e. last back up four months ago, so they they didnt spend £20 on some kind of surge protection! Would hardware issues cause problems like this, they even occur when running applications on the server it self (we can dial in)?

Phil Nicholas

• Have had similair issues with an unreliable DC. Problems may be caused with NT Authentication and the domain controller being screwed. Best bet would be to drop all NT logins and recreate them.

• The strange thing is it doesnt matter what type of login sql or windows, I managed to partially fix one login by opening the login in enterprise manager and saving it again - bizarre?? I think we'll advise them to rebuild the server and reattach the databases.

Phil Nicholas

• my first thought is something abot missing or changed sids / passwords / kerberos tickets on the domain controller. Did they rebuild a NEW domain controller ?

Have you tried restarting the SQL service / box? Can you find any errors in the eventlog ?

HTH

JP

• I'm not actually on site, although one of our consultants happened to be on site doing a data transfer & is now saddled with the problem (we're a software company). I believe the domain server WAS rebuilt and this did occur to me however even new users seem to have the problem . Just thought this might ring a bell with someone out there!

Phil Nicholas

• When you say new users have the problem, do you mean if you set up a new (never before used)domain account that does not have any SQL access, then you give him SQL access, he still can't get into SQL properly?  I was thinking SID issues but if this doesn't work either, I don't think it could be.

• No - new sql users. Apparently when right clicking on a table and selecting return all rows returns garbage on the server & clients. Using SQL Query Analyser it seemed ok on the system tables I was looking at yesterday but apparently it was returning garbage in EM before the domain server went down (but users could connect to the server via our apps and the data appeared normal). To be honest I dont think I should have raised this here as I'm not sat in front of the server myself & this is all I know at this point!

Phil Nicholas

• Ok its been resolved, the issue was caused by an upgrade to windows 2003 server which presumably they did around the same time as the domain server going down! Apparently a dll was left from windows 2k that caused all the problems with authentication etc. This fact wasnt mentioned to me although they probably didnt think to mention it! Thanks for all your help.

Phil Nicholas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply