Domain login

• Hi Expertz

I have two sql_server1 in domain_1 and sql_server2 in domain_2 ie sql servers in two different domains.

I need to create a commone user or login who can access the dB1 and db2 of sql_server1 in domain_1 and sql_server2 in domain_2 respectively.

Also the user should have db_owner role for the databases db1 and db2.

Tanx 😀

• Create a domain user, let us call it test1

Create a local user in both the SQL Servers in both domains with the same name test1 and also the same password.

Give necessary permissions in sql server for the user test1 in both the domains and you should be ready to go.

Keep in mind that the username and password should be the same all across the board.

-Roy

• But shouldn't we add one of the domains as trusted to the other.

How will we know weather test1 user is belonging to sql_server1 or sql_server2.

Tanx 😀

• domain1\user of sql_server1 should be able to login as domain1\user in sql_server2 of domain2.

Please help

Tanx 😀

• You will need at least a one way trust between the domains. Are they within the same AD forest?

If you have a two way trust, it doesn't matter which domain your user is in and you will be able to create SQL logins for any account in any sql server regardless of the domain.

If you only have a one way trust, create the user in the domain that is trusted. Eg, if Domain 2 trusts Domain 1, create your user in Domain 1. Then create a SQL login for Domain 1\user

viola

If you have no trusts, then you will need a user in each domain.

--
    Andrew Hatfield

• Thanks Andrew

I created a one way trust and resolved the issue.

Tanx 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply