Doing a select with dynamic columns

• Hi,

I have a query that produce a table where I have a list of columns.

Then I choose check what columns are on the table excluding the column from the other table.

select COLUMN_NAME
    FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
    WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'CustomerV3_ParentAccount'
    AND COLUMN_NAME NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT ColumnName FROM ColumnName WHERE TableName = 'CustomerV3_ParentAccount')

my question is, how can I do a select from CustomerV3_ParentAccount using the results I got from that query.

I am looking to do it dynamically as the columns keep changing on the table ColumnName

thanks

astrid

• As the column names are not static, doing this dynamically is probably the only way you will get this to work.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Dynamic SQL is the only way to go, as Phil says. So one way would be like so:

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(MAX),
    @CRLF nchar(2) = NCHAR(13) + NCHAR(10);

DECLARE @Delimiter nvarchar(20) = N',' + @CRLF + N' '

SELECT @SQL = N'SELECT ' +
    STRING_AGG(QUOTENAME(c.[name]),@Delimiter) + @CRLF +
    N'FROM dbo.CustomerV3_ParentAccount;'
    FROM sys.tables t --I prefer the sys objects
    JOIN sys.columns c ON t.object_id = c.object_id
    WHERE t.[name] = N'CustomerV3_ParentAccount'
    AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1
    FROM dbo.ColumnName CN
    WHERE CN.TableName = t.[name]
    AND VN.ColumnName = c.[name]);

--PRINT @SQL; --Your best friend
    EXEC sys.sp_executesql @SQL;

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• thanks, i needed to do it dynamically, i was just not sure how to go about it.

• >> I have a query that produce a table where I have a list of columns. Then I choose check what columns are on the table excluding the column from the other table. <<

No. I worked on the committee that define this language. The tables in the column are known as part of the definition of the table! You missed one of the fundamental concept of RDBMS. It goes back to Leibniz and the concept and logic that an entity is the sum of all of its attributes. What you seem to want to do is to use SQL for something we never intended for it to be used for. We don't format data in the database tier of a tiered architecture! We pass the raw data to a presentation/computation layer, and that does whatever needs to be done for display purposes.

Please post DDL and follow ANSI/ISO standards when asking for help. 

• jcelko212 32090 wrote:

>> I have a query that produce a table where I have a list of columns. Then I choose check what columns are on the table excluding the column from the other table. <<

No. I worked on the committee that define this language. The tables in the column are known as part of the definition of the table! You missed one of the fundamental concept of RDBMS. It goes back to Leibniz and the concept and logic that an entity is the sum of all of its attributes. What you seem to want to do is to use SQL for something we never intended for it to be used for. We don't format data in the database tier of a tiered architecture! We pass the raw data to a presentation/computation layer, and that does whatever needs to be done for display purposes.

It's not always done for reporting purposes, Joe.  Sometimes is to convert an EAV into a proper table structure.  And, sometimes it IS for reporting...  like when there's no reporting app in sight.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply