Does training location matter?

• Greetings All,

After recently being laid-off I'm looking into some government funded training. They will pay for me to take a course with any local college so long as I have a diploma or cert within two years. One that stood out to me takes 10 month and leaves me with 10 potential certs. MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, CIW Associate, CIW Security Analyst, and CCNA.

There is also a second course that offers MSSQL and Oracle certification paths but the exams aren't paid for.

The only concern I have is how this looks to a potential employer. Does anyone have any experience gaining certs in this manner? Did the location you took the courses affect how they viewed your having them?

• I think it really depends on where you want to go career wise. Your choices offer different career paths, one being more system/network related the other Database-centric.

• I don't think location matters. I'm not familiar with anyone wanting to know if you got your certification training from a university v some training center.

The issue will be experience. If you have experience in some areas, then the certification can have some value. If not, then I'm not sure it means much. employers are not looking at certifications as a reason to hire you, though some HR departments might use the lack of them to filter you out. Especially when they get 200 resumes for a position.

• I don't think where you get them will matter.

HR depts are just looking to see if you have some alphabet soup. Tech screeners are just looking to see if you actually got anything from the training other than alphabet soup. I don't think anyone cares which store you bought the soup at.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply