Does SSRS require Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll be installed?

• Whenever we start to build a new Windows app, my colleagues always add in the Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll. I'm not sure why, because when I looked up what that DLL does, I learned that it works with SQL Servers spatial datatypes. C# doesn't have the equivalent data type, so that DLL makes it possible for applications to work with SQL Server's spatial data types.

However, including that DLL always causes other problems, especially when deploying it. It must be (so I understand) installed in the GAC (look here and here). That's fine, for developers and IT pros, who are administrators on their own machines. But that doesn't work at all for ordinary users who aren't in the local admin group. Therefore, I typically remove Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll from these projects. Especially since we don't even have any databases that use SQL Server spatial data types.

But now I'm wondering if it could be the case that SSRS requires that DLL? Often, we'll include a report viewer control on some windows in the application to render a report. Or have SSRS automatically generate a PDF or Excel spreadsheet. Could it be that SSRS, when embedded in a Windows application, requires that Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll be included, just in case the report might include spatial data?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Rod at work. Reason: Needed to add more detail

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply