does disabling indexes reset the usage statistics?

• months ago i started keeping track of index usage and i have a daily report that lists all indexes with no seeks. i'm deleting a bunch daily.

today i noticed a table where i used to drop indexes every few days but changed it to alter index disable and then rebuild the index the following morning. thought it might have been a new snapshot due to replication being reinitialized but that hasn't been the case for a week. last night the indexes were disabled and then rebuilt. the server hasn't been rebooted or restarted in months if not years. and this hasn't happened in other databases or tables on the server

this table is a subscriber with 150,000,000 to 300,000,000 rows depending on the time of month. sometimes we have a big batch process that deleted tens of millions of rows and we disable the indexes to try to get the changes replicated during the night

• alen teplitsky (7/20/2011)

this table is a subscriber with 150,000,000 to 300,000,000 rows depending on the time of month. sometimes we have a big batch process that deleted tens of millions of rows and we disable the indexes to try to get the changes replicated during the night

No. Disabling non-clustered indexes will still update stats but it will not be used in delete.

Alex S

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply