Documenting DTS package?

• Hello,

I'd like to document the package that I wrote.  When an error comes up with the scheduled job, you see the task.  However, when you are in the DTS package, the label that is displayed over each step is the description.

I'd like to document the package for the support team to list the task and the description.  If they see a task failed, they can go to the dts package and go right to the step that needs attention.

I'm sure this information is stored in some database table.  But after spending some time on the net and in Books Online, I didn't see where this information is being kept.

What table maintains the information about a dts packages' events/tasks that I can query quickly for this information?  I saw sysdtspackages, but that has the description and overall information about the package itself.  I need to query the steps within the package.

I could do it the long way and just go step by step and copy and paste.  A simple query on a table would be better.

Thank you.

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• The package is a binary object. It is stored as such. If you want the package documented internally, add an Active X task, and type in the documentation as a comment.

• Well thanks for the answer.

I was hoping to do a quick query!  At least, I can saying I am learning more and more about writing DTS packages.

I need to create a word document that lists each step and the corresponding task to help the support team.

Thanks again, for answering my question.

Tony

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply