Document management

• Hi All,

I have been instructed by the company I contract to, to setup a document management system. The company has in excess of 1000 files, each containing several jobcard, communications, order confirmations etc for a customer.

Can some please direct in how to store scanned images and picture in SQL using ADP as a client front end.

I would also welcome pointer and/or examples.

Guidence in the use of tree view would also be welcomed.

Regards

• You can use Image data type

My Blog: http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com/

• This is a very broad and deep topic and there are many divergent opinions about how to proceed.

The most contentious issue is whether to store images as linked files (only store the image location in the database), or to store the images (in a SQL Server image field) directly in the database.  With only 1,000 images, you can probably get by with either approach, as file management won't get too unwieldy for the file-based approach.   Personally, I prefer storage in the database for most applications.  (But there are many who would rather be tortured that adopt this approach.)

The image control that comes with Access is far too primitive to be of much use.   I highly recommend the THB Components image control.  It is simple to use, extremely powerful, and inexpensive.  And best of all, it works perfectly with Access. See: http://www.thbcomponents.com/mainfrmie.html

This control is a lifesaver, and can be used easily for either the file-based, or direct storage approach.

• there is another way to greatly increase the image display capabilities of access (though without the editing/extra fancy features of the above component)

Put a Web Browser objects on your access form and point that at your image files, rather than the access picture control. You can use this to embed anything that your web browser can look at! jpg, gif, png, bmp, pdf, html even flash etc.

You can even wrap whats displayed in custom html to format it in a fancy way and its not hard to lock down the web browser object so people cant play around with it.

I have to admit my main use of this is putting fancy animated logos on the front screens of my applications that access couldnt handle

Web browser object runs along side access so it won't lock it access trying to load images or if it has problems e.g. looking on a bit of network thats down.

martin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply