Do you use a Dev ReportServer in addition to a Prod ReportServer?

• IT has set us (reporting group) up with a development ReportServer, and then a production ReportServer.

We're pretty new at this whole thing, but trying to see the point of the Dev server, when all we're doing is building reports? Since we can preview when it's still on the desktop, why would we need a dev server?

Thanks,

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• If you're reporting off of production data, and the structures of the database are being changed on the development SQL server, where can you work to test/update your existing reports/report models to work with the new database structural changes in order to deploy the necessary changes when the database change goes live?

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• mtassin (9/10/2010)

If you're reporting off of production data, and the structures of the database are being changed on the development SQL server, where can you work to test/update your existing reports/report models to work with the new database structural changes in order to deploy the necessary changes when the database change goes live?

Hm, ok, that's a good point, I wasn't thinking they were hooking us up with THEIR dev server for db changes, my impression was that it was a dev location solely for reports, which seemed redundant. Usually they just change the db and don't inform us, so hadn't considered that this might be a possibility.

I'll check though, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Well your dev report server still has connections on it.. so you can point them to the dev database server for this sort of purpose.

I know it's what we use ours for. I've got a report model on my dev server that's waiting to be deployed when we update a major system here.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply