Do You Talk Salary in the Interview?

• I always know the salary or at least range, before going for an interview. As a contractor in the UK/Switzerland, taking a day off (or even half a day) means that I dont get paid, so therefore lose money.

I deal only with agents, unless I know the company. Its an added layer of protection... they have "standard" contracts and you do all the negotiating through them. Yes they are very much like 2nd hand car salesmen, but that means that you can be rather "under-handed" with them and you do not need to work with them on a daily basis. For some permanent positions, I have been a little less willing to push the issue, even though I knew I should be on more. Dealing with agents, I just dont care... If I dont get the £££s I want, I leave, which means no more "money-cow" for them.

• Wether it's appropriate to bring up salary during an interview depends on what type of interview it is. If it's just a technical interview where you're sitting across the table from the manager and a couple of team members, then you'd look like a total dork to broach the subject with them, especially if they've already made up their mind you're no longer a good candidate. When you're in the one on one meeting with the human resources director, this would be the meeting where they tell you about the company's benefits package, corporate culture, etc., then that's when it's time to talk specifics about the salary. If you're patient, then they should bring it up themselves. If you jump in too soon and ask point blank, then it will appear you're not a good listener or don't care about the company's line of business.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• If you start thinking early in the interview that you are supposed to discuss salary and compensation in any detail, you run a TERRIBLE risk of being perceived as focusing too much on what you're going to GET rather than on what you're going to GIVE. What do I do if they ask what salary I am expecting? You state your salary expectations directly and specifically. If you give a range, make it no more than 8 - 10% of the mean of the range. Be very careful not to throw out a total compensation number when what they ask you for is salary. If you don't have an offer yet, then the interview is still going on!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply