Do we need to update stats after we rebuild index and reorganize index

• We face slow performance issue for like taking long time for same query execution after We apply index rebuild and reorganize index. But, after execution of query or procedure for 2 -3 times, performance will be faster. I have following questions

1 do we need to update stats after we rebuild an reorganize index.

2. is it will be slow for 1-2 times for every query and stored procedure execution after we rebuild and reorganize index?

I really appreciate if you give me answer for my above 2 question's answer.

• keshab.basnet (6/26/2015)

We face slow performance issue for like taking long time for same query execution after We apply index rebuild and reorganize index. But, after execution of query or procedure for 2 -3 times, performance will be faster.

Please provide your definitions for slow and fast. It can be that 1 hour is slow or 500ms is slow.

1 do we need to update stats after we rebuild an reorganize index.

Rebuild itself updates statistics, reorganize doesn't. So if you want your stats to be up to date then you have to update it after reorganize. Also there are statistics that created on columns but not on indexes, so they are never updated during index rebuild.

2. is it will be slow for 1-2 times for every query and stored procedure execution after we rebuild and reorganize index?

In order to answer this question you have to find out the reason it's slow. Most likely it happens because it takes time to recompile the query, or because your rebuild process clears out the buffer pool, so when you run the query for the 1st time it has to read all the data from disk.

Alex Suprun

• Thanks Sir, Answer given by you for question 1 and question 2 is sufficient answer for me.

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply