Do We Care About Disks?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Do We Care About Disks?

• It's sort of like - how many restaurants nowadays make their own pasta?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Hmm.... i would say there's significantly more that goes into on prem vs cloud than just I don't care about the details of the hardware.

• For me, I don't manage the hardware side of things, so I care less about the hardware and actually have very little say in what hardware I get.  It is usually in the tune of "do you want CPU A or CPU B?" and then the hardware team will get the thing set up for me.

It isn't that I don't care about the hardware (disks and more), it is that I have no real say in it.  With disks, I have literally no say.  I can ask for "fast disk" but it doesn't mean the hardware team will give me fast disk.

With the cloud approach, it is more about how much money you can give them and how fast your internet connection is.  If your internet connection is slow, you likely don't want to go to the cloud with things.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• When I consider how much time I used to spend configuring and testing disk performance, vs. how little I do now, one would think I have a lot more free time.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Never a shortage of work.

Time is the most valuable asset we have, so we want to be sure that we have tools and teams that help us to tackle more valuable tasks than checking backups or thinking of RAID configurations.

• Yeah, we have an Infrastructure team here that handles all of the hardware.  They will ask for basic specs but otherwise, they handle building out the VM's.  I haven't really worried about that kind of stuff for quite a while now and it doesn't bother me in the least.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• We just tell the infrastructure folks how many cores we need, how much memory, and how much disk, and the server name. They let us know when it's ready. We have no clue where the hardware is or anything else. It's all VM's and storage systems. If we do something on he cloud, we usually set it up ourselves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply