What's Important to Your Organization

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What's Important to Your Organization

• I'd be curious to know if what you see in an organisation is a single organisational attitude to IT or something more nuanced?

I read Ronald Damhoff's work on data quadrants and that was a bit of a lightbulb moment for me. It described the need for a quadrant with rigid, methodical, highly regulated approaches but with another much more freeform and experimental. Could it be the same with other aspects of technology too?

• It's not often a single attitude, but usually the CTO or a VP/high level exec sets a view that is followed, if not believed in, at many levels. Sometimes management is very cost centric, looking to manage this as a service that they are dependent on. This usually means less investment, less tolerance of experiments or mistakes, and often a "get by " approach to running systems that actual admins and developers tend to follow. They keep their head down and don't try to change anything to make it better, because they worry something might get worse.

This limits the advantages of IT when workers or managers worry about their reviews, bonuses, etc. because leadership cares more about cost than opportunity.

When more strategic views exist in leadership, then people try to improve things, even at the cost of sometimes breaking something or making mistakes. Those get corrected, and the cost of them is absorbed in the interest of growing and building better systems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply