Do any of you send your SQL backups to the cloud?

• Do any of you leverage the cloud for storage, and if so, what is your approach to backups?

We are reviewing our backup strategy, in particular how to approach backing up the native SQL backups. Currently we perform SQL backups (full and t-log) to disk. At night we backup the SQL backups to tape using a product called ArcServe. ArcServe is having to backup over 7TB of backups nightly. We are wanting to leverage the cloud and find an approach where the SQL backups can be backed-up to the cloud, either using some appliance or third-party software. We would also like to avoid placing agents on our SQL Servers, which is a requirement of DPM.

Thanks

• I've been doing it for years. I backed up locally (because it's faster) and the used powershell to copy the files out to Azure blob storage. Done.

You can get fancy, run backups to blob storage directly, but it seriously slows down backups. While backups are very low cost and minimal impact, they are not "no cost and zero impact." I found that doing the backups directly to cloud storage was overly painful. However, if you're interested, with SQL Server 2014 and better, you can backup directly to Azure with no agents installed.

Every other approach I've tried, requires an agent.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply