DIY

• Unlike most (not all), I'm *not* a DIY'er! I am much more of the mindset to pay an expert to do what he/she knows (has trained or practiced for). That's *their* job, not mine. How many of you have had to go into a client's location just to find they decided to build their own software/setup their own database/write their own code...just to find they screwed the whole thing up because they don't know how to do it? I have too many times. Had they called a pro in the first place, they might have (in the long run) saved time, money, and effort. I consider most larger DIY jobs around the house the same way.

Just my 2 cents...

• Well, I don't know if DIYer exactly applies, but perhaps so.

My laptop drive recently began its trip to the great bit bucket in the sky. I'm certainly not going to pay someone for that install. And for that matter I have stripped and reassembled my wife's Dell laptop completely and it still works (kudos to Dell for publishing schematics AND instructions on their website).

I was an auto mechanic before joining the IT ranks 20+ years ago and I still work on my own cars. For a moment I took offense to the earlier post that cast DIY painters in a negative light, but after seeing what people without the background did to their cars so that I could do it right, I'm inclined to agree that SOME DIYers would be better off spending someone else's time and their own money.

I've done a little woodworking. Wiring doesn't bother me in the least (once shocked a few times by a 40,000 volt ignition system I'm not too worried about what I find in a house). On the other hand, I'm not into climbing 12/12 pitch roofs to do roofing any more and I thing the plaster work angle has been pretty well covered (I always felt the same way about auto body work).

What I have noticed, certainly in myself but in others as well, is that a lot of the skills and thinking that make good DIYers are the same ones that make them good developers and troubleshooters. Cars taught me to troubleshoot complex systems. The difference between that and software is that software is a lot easier on the hands!

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• Oh, I should add to my previous post that my father was completely the opposite...very much a DIYer. Degrees in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, worked in the field for years, and loved fixing (or trying) anything and everything. Built his own TVs, radios, etc... He eventually became a handyman in his later years, and loved it.

I think the DIY gene skips every other generation!

I'd just rather focus on making more $ in programming and SQL work so I can pay for the experts to fix my sink, electrical, deck, brickwork, etc...

• I would say that I am NOT a DIYer. That being said, I've had to do certain projects at home, whether I wanted to or not.

A prime example is when my wife and I bought our first house. My first job was to replace the garbage disposal. After several hours of tearing out the old unit (disgusting job in and of itself) and drawing several plans to plumb in the new one, buying parts, asking for advice, and doing my best mumbling befuddled Ozzy impression, I was able to get the job done. It wasn't pretty, and we soon discovered that the non-disposal side of our dual sink would shoot out a geyser of water and ground food particles. It was re-plumbed correctly by a professional during our kitchen remodel.

I did some spackle work on damage walls and ceilings, painting, replaced the doorbell, and eventually rebuilt a set of stairs leading into the house. I didn't want to do any of it, but it had to be done.

My car failed inspection this past year, due to damage to the front bumper. Rather than shell out the $500 to replace the bumper cover at the dealership, I spent $7 on bondo and was able to pass inspection. Again, not pretty, but it got the job done.

I love to watch DIY shows on house flipping, budget remodeling, etc. I just have no aptitude in that area and avoid doing projects myself.

I suppose that's why I became a software professional - there is no need to work with my hands in the physical world. No ladders to climb, no sharp saw edges to get cut on, and no repeated trips to the hardware store. If I make a mistake with software, it's usually in a development environment, and it doesn't cost anything to fix. Mistakes on projects at home can prove very costly.

• I'll do anything except major plumbing (seems to be a common theme here on that). I have been that way since a teen. I didn't always have the resources ($$$) to call a 'professional', so I started doing things myself. It is fun to learn how to do (this is key), then do, then stand back and admire your results. I have gutted and rebuilt entire bathrooms including electrical, drywall, tile, moved walls, put in arched doorways, rebuilt automobile engines, rewired and replumbed my 30' sailboat, and I'll do anything and everything that needs to be done to my automobile. I'm currently remodeling my 1970 vintage house (it was all original including the harvest gold appliances in the kitchen, and wood paneling in the den).

A mechanical engineer by training, I guess I have it in my blood (and the mechanical aptitude) to do these kinds of things. As far as DIYers being botchers, I'm sure many are (they make it look so easy on TV, don't they). But in my experience, I find that the final quality of my projects exceeds that provided by many professionals whose work I have seen after the fact. Probably because I will go the extra step and put more care and thought into the project (plus I'm not trying to make a living doing it, so I can take longer, if necessary, to get it just right). The one problem I have hiring professionals is that many aren't as professional as they claim to be (and you find that out after they are done making a mess). Back in the day, craft workers were somewhat artisans. They took a lot of pride in their work and were very intelligent. Today I come across so many that can barely tie their shoes...some real dumbasses...and you think I want them working on my stuff? I don't think so.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it!;)

• I am a DIYer for the most part. I understand my limitations, and will call a Pro when needed, but more than likely I'll call a friend (a lot of my friends are pros in certain things, Electrical Engineer, Plumber, etc.) so far this year I build a walking cooler in my basement, am working on finishing the rest of the basement, including re-wiring large parts of the house to do it. Any time I have a question on codes I call my friend the EE and he tells me how to do it and/or will stop by for a beer to two.

I brew my own beer, make my own wine and have manufactured a number of devices for those purposes (like the walk-in, kegerator, draft beer setup in the bar etc).

Like others have said, the plastering bit I leave to a local handy man who's much better at it than I. More patience, more likely to sand properly etc. Typically I get the walls up, tape and put on the first coat, then call him to make it look good.

for me it's all about taking the time to sit back and enjoy something you've put your time into... Nothing better than sitting on the deck, under the pergola, with the hop vines for shade tossing back a few cold ones and knowing you've crafted it all with your own hands.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Bush Hog (aka Brush Hog) is kind of a large mower that cuts brush - the hog part is slang from my perspective, like saying Brush "Terminator" in your best Austrian actor accent.). Some you can walk behind, most are pulled by 4 wheelers or tractors.

DIY - oh yeah. I defer on things that I feel are out of my league or when I have no time. Plumbing, major electrical, etc.

Landscaping/gardening is my forte, and my wife has gotten into woodworking and tiling. The only TV show I need is This Old House and, well, the Green Bay Packer games too!

Cheers
    http://twitter.com/widba
    http://widba.blogspot.com/

• Oh yeah, I'm definitely a DIYer. I find that the diversity of what I've learned to do in the past has paid off in the future. Many of the skills I learned doing odd jobs around the house have been used in the office. But I have found there are distinct areas I don't like and won't do. As cars get more and more complex, I bow to the knowledge and experience of trained mechanics. The days of me replacing the clutch or swapping out the tranny are definitely gone.

But in exchange for those skills, I have learned to do more carpentry and (ugh) plumbing. Though you have to admit, the satisfaction you get from doing a project on your own is worth it. : )

• We had 57 acres of working homestead with Arabian horses, Nubian milk goats, chickens and a really big garden. We are down to 15 acres now with mini-Zebus. Our house was originally built in 1799 - 12" black walnut logs with chinking (challenging) - old barn - deteriorating shed - laughable fencing - back-to-the-landers we were - unsupervised, no money, marginal skills, great enthusiasm and significant luck.

Our signature DIY consisted of rebuilding (with no manual) the knotter for an International 46 twine hay baler that we had acquired for $150. It subsequently performed flawlessly for 12+ years and > 10K bales.

We were young, foolish and it was the best of times.

• Well, I think building my own house qualifies me as a DIY-er (with lots of advice from the building inspector). I'll work on almost anything... until it involves an engine. I've never been able to work on those and have it work right afterwards, so I leave that to my son (he's a GM mechanic).

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I used to be a DIYer

Then I got married. Now I'm a DIMWITT

Do It Myself When I'm Told To.

😉

• I'm a semi-DIYer. Whether I do something or pay someone depends on a number of things, including whether or not I have the tools to do it. I grew up in a cabinetry shop, so I do wordwork to professional standards, and I've apprenticed as an electrician. I can hang drywall, mud, and paint (without leaving brush bits in it). But, I'm also getting older, and badly out-of-shape, so a heavy project that requires a lot of lifting, and has to be done in a short time frame, I'll hire pros for.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm afraid I'm a weenie when it comes to DIY, but I sure admire people who do it.

I can DIY with girlie stuff, though. I can make clothes or curtains, crochet doilies, cross-stitch pretty things, etc.

I also practice T'ai Chi and Qi Gong 2 or 3 times a week and yoga 2 times a week so this eats up most of the time that I would use for DIY.

I'd like to try to do more for myself when I retire but I know if I tried to take on a project now, it would drag on forever!

• I was a Mechanic in a previous life and helped my family build houses in high school. I converted to Computers about 10 years ago and now SQL for the last 5. Because I used to do these kind of things for a living and I still own all of my own tools (never give up the tools guys) I tend to much of what needs to be done around the house from remodel projects to making sure the cars are in proper working order. Now like some other people have said.. I do know my limitations. I hate heights and don't care to deal with the magic of plumbing. I did however completely rebuild my motorcycle from top to bottom and it is a great feeling of accomplishment. It is also a form of relaxation to get away from the computer and get back to a basic need to make something with your bare hands. I also love working with wood and have made several projects around the house and also helped female friends out where their husband or boyfriend were not exactly the handiest of people around the house. My sister in law keeps a list of projects she needs me to help my brother with.;)

• Squarely in the no camp! Growing up on a farm I certainly can do most of it if I had to, but, I'd rather write a check and get it done right and in a timely fashion.

That and the quality of work applies in the barn/outhouse, might not be accepted by my wife for our house..... And I was much better with welding, soldiering and blowing stuff up 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply