Distributed Groups - Re-initialise forwarder

• Hello,

I have a situation where I need to re-create a forwarder and its secondary , but I am confused on how to do this after reading Microsoft's articles on distributed groups.

2 x 2 node clusters; Clus1-NodeA Clus1-NodeB / Clus2-NodeA Clus2-NodeB - cluster 2 node a is the forwarder, b the secondary

Clus1-Node A and B are in an always-on group using sync, these are live

Clus2-Node A and B are in an always-on group using sync, these are DR

Distributed group configured between the 2 using automatic seeding and a-sync.

We lost some databases in cluster 2 because of human-error, but I need to understand the proper way of re-creating the forwarder and its secondary without re-creating the distributed group or affecting live. These are VLDB's and will take days to re-create, so I wanted to get my facts straight before choosing an avenue. Also there are other databases that DIDNT get lost during the failure that are replicating fine in the same AVG group, so I do not want to affect these.

In my tests, I tried taking the full and tlog backups from the primary, restoring these on the forwarder, but couldn't add these to the DR AVG group afterwards as it was not in the 'correct state'. Guessing that's because its on the inactive side of the distributed group.

Viewing 0 posts

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply