Distributed DB Decision Tree - SQL Server Specs

• I am working on developing a decision tree for a distributed database solution. I am tasked with developing specific criteria for SQL Server based on the following categories. I would greatly appreciate any feedback any of you have out there regarding this type of effort and/or these specs.

Obviously, I am representing SQL Server in this effort, while there are many other individuals that are representing their respective database platforms (Oracle, UDB, MYSQL, etc...)

Some of the following categories have "general" groupings...do these make sense from a SQL Server perspective?

1. Volume of data - in 5 years?

20 GB or less

21 GB - 500 GB

500 GB - 1 TB

1 TB - 5 TB

50 TB or more

2. # of Total Users ?

> 3,000

2,999 to > 300

< 300

3. # of Concurrent Users

4. Volume of transactions

# per day

# at peak

# per hour

# updates per day

5. If multiple DBMS alternatives are supported, are tools and documentation provided to facilitate migration to an alternative DBMS?

Both migration tools and documentation are provided

Migration procedures are documented, but rely upon native DBMS migration toolkits provided by DBMS vendors

Vendor must perform migration to alternative database

Migration to an alternative database is not possible

6. Does database connectivity require additional 3rd party technologies not provided with the native database solution? For example, net.Direct or Data.Direct JDBC or ODBC Drivers

No

Yes, 3rd party drivers are required and are included in the application distribution. Caterpillar is not required to license or acquire support for these drivers. Application vendor provides licenses and support for these drivers. Please specify:

Yes, 3rd party drivers are required and are included in the application distribution. Caterpillar is required to license and acquire support directly from 3rd party driver vendor. Please specify:

7. How is database connection management implemented?

Application utilizes database connection pooling

Each user session initiates a database connection and is used for duration of application session

Each application transaction establishes new connection to database

8. Does your application require database encryption?

No

Yes, please explain mechanism

9. What type of data does your application utilize?

Time Series

Data Warehouse (e.g. BI & Reporting, OLAP)

OLTP

LOBs

XML

Video

• I'm struggling to work out what your question is, could you clarify? These are questions about an application that uses a database engine rather than being about a database engine itself

• You are correct in that these are questions for an app...this is intended to be a decision tree to help them come to the conclusion of which database platform they would select, assuming it is not pre-determined by their application.

I am trying to collect "options" for them to select when posed with these questions. We (a larger team) would ultimately like to have options presented that would cover all distributed databases that we have in-house. I personally am trying to determine how these "options" should be defined for SQL Server.

Clear as mud? 🙂

Anji

• Looking at your questions I don't see any answers that would justify a certain DBMS over another.

Are you looking for a decision tree like:

If User > 300 --> DBMS1

If User < 300 --> DBMS2

If Size < 1go --> DBMS2

etc...

?

• That is exactly the way the decision tree will work! There are additional questions that I did not include here as I knew how to supply "options" for those questions, so this list of questions is NOT all inclusive, but a subset of questions I was unsure of how to handle.

What I want to clarify is whether the "options" provided with these questions are legit from a SQL Server perspective or are they completely in left field?

anji

• Seems legit to me, you can create various size implementations of SQL Server to accomodate the options in your list.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply