Distributed Availability Group setup for DR Standalone SQL server

• Hi Team,

We have primary DC which is having 3 nodes cluster and implemented AG setup on it.

We have AG with 3 replicas in primary DC.

now we want to setup DR .

My DR server is neither part or primary WSFC cluster nor separate WSFC cluster(it is like standalone server).

so i want to implement distributed availability group to replicate the data from primary DC AG to DR AG.

is there any possibility to setup DAG to standalone SQL Serevr ? I did not find any article how to setup this . please let us know if anyone is having info related this setup.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  dastagiri16.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  dastagiri16.
  • You can set up an AG without a cluster in the DR DC. Then you can wire that up to a Distributed AG with the AG in your main DC. Follow the instructions for creating a 'read scale AG'. Failover will be manual only:

"Use read-scale with Always On availability groups" - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/read-scale-availability-groups?view=sql-server-ver15

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Thanks Eddie Wuerch ... i will check and test this....

• Hi  Eddie Wuerch,

can we use same listener name on primary and DR in DAG?

if both listener  names are same we dont need to change app config setting to perform dr drill. so after failover no need to change anything in this case.Could you please advice?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  dastagiri16.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply