Distributed AG with AutoSeed

• Hi,
    For setting up Distributed AG why it is needed to create Availability Group with Automatic seeding?

Thanks.

• Any reason why you wouldn't want to? Where do you see that requirement ?. Auto seeding is awesome feature btw.

• curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:56 AM

Any reason why you wouldn't want to? Where do you see that requirement ?. Auto seeding is awesome feature btw.

Have you worked on AlwaysOn before? If you know then you'll know that you can take manual backup and restore or the GUI can do it for you and also it has a new feature where you can Auto Seed where sql server uses the log transport to stream the backup using VDI to the secondary replica for each database of the availability group using the configured endpoints.

Question was why it is helpful to use Auto seed?
    Did you read my question by any chance?

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:11 AM

curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 4:56 AM

Any reason why you wouldn't want to? Where do you see that requirement ?. Auto seeding is awesome feature btw.

Have you worked on AlwaysOn before? If you know then you'll know that you can take manual backup and restore or the GUI can do it for you and also it has a new feature where you can Auto Seed where sql server uses the log transport to stream the backup using VDI to the secondary replica for each database of the availability group using the configured endpoints.

Answering yo your other question, In my project I am seeing the requirement. Since this is a forum do not ask me to provide server details. Hope you know this

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:11 AM

Answering yo your other question, In my project I am seeing the requirement. Since this is a forum do not ask me to provide server details. Hope you know this

Lately i have been dealing with a lot of people like you, it is good, it is helping in keeping my sanity together.  I get English is not your first language so isn't mine but at least you should be able to read right?
    I literally thought you meant Distributed AG based on your comment looks like you don't know the difference between distributed AG and AG, i was curious to know where you found that requirement, what i meant is have you read somewhere?
    I guess you are one of those who need to be spoon fed for everything, had to opened your eyes and properly read when you selected " Auto Seed" option in GUI it explains in simple English what it means.
    If still not clear, why not add DB in AG set in Auto Seed and see what happens on secondary?

• curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:32 AM

Lately i have been dealing with a lot of people like you, it is good, it is helping in keeping my sanity together.  I get English is not your first language so isn't mine but at least you should be able to read right?
    I literally thought you meant Distributed AG based on your comment looks like you don't know the difference between distributed AG and AG, i was curious to know where you found that requirement, what i meant is have you read somewhere?
    I guess you are one of those who need to be spoon fed for everything, had to opened your eyes and properly read when you selected " Auto Seed" option in GUI it explains in simple English what it means.
    If still not clear, why not add DB in AG set in Auto Seed and see what happens on secondary?

I would strongly advise if you do not know any answer, do not reply to any post. This is a tech forum and people are allowed to post questions. Lately I would like to comment that you have no understanding on technology and I am surprised how you keep continue with your job. Just for the purpose of increasing points here, do not reply. I believe you need spoon feeding as you never even heard about Distributed AG, as if you knew then you would have understood that there is a feature called Auto Seed which is available since many years!! Not sure how do you claim yourselves as a DBA or expert.

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:45 AM

I would strongly advise if you do not know any answer, do not reply to any post. This is a tech forum and people are allowed to post questions. Lately I would like to comment that you have no understanding on technology and I am surprised how you keep continue with your job. Just for the purpose of increasing points here, do not reply. I believe you need spoon feeding as you never even heard about Distributed AG, as if you knew then you would have understood that there is a feature called Auto Seed which is available since many years!! Not sure how do you claim yourselves as a DBA or expert.

Also English may not be my first language but at the same time SQL Server is not your platform that is also understood.

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:45 AM

You are turning this into a soap opera..lol.. I think you also need to check your vision or may be you have sixth sense. Where do you see i claimed myself to be SQL expert?  Based on other's qualifications on this forum, i am not at all SQL expert, would like to be one though.

Jokes apart, but seriously dude what is your question? If your question is really about distributed AG where AG's are split across two different clusters, then no Auto seed is not required that being said why would not do it  ( this was my original question )? Where did you read that it is required or is it some smart a** PM or developer asked you ?

• curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:39 AM

You are turning this into a soap opera..lol.. I think you also need to check your vision or may be you have sixth sense. Where do you see i claimed myself to be SQL expert?  Based on other's qualifications on this forum, i am not at all SQL expert, would like to be one though.

Jokes apart, but seriously dude what is your question? If your question is really about distributed AG where AG's are split across two different clusters, then no Auto seed is not required that being said why would not do it  ( this was my original question )? Where did you read that it is required or is it some smart a** PM or developer asked you ?

I already mentioned to you. READ AGAIN. READ AGAIN. READ AGAIN. READ AGAIN.

"
    If you do not know something, do not just jump into things!!
    :"
    Do recursive. Go back and READ THIS AGAIN.
    BEfore that search in Internet how is called SQL REcursive, will be a good learning for you.

You do not know Alwayson. That is OK. This is a tech forum. If you know technical topic then only Reply. do not waste other's time. This is not English teaching class. We do not need your Special Hunky Dory response. Bro, be mature. If you know Technical reply to Technical. Keep you Ego and other things separately.

Again "Be Recursive". READ AGAIN!!!!
    Do not waste yours and other's time.

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:45 AM

"
    BEfore that search in Internet how is called SQL REcursive, will be a good learning for you.

You do not know Alwayson. That is OK. This is a tech forum. If you know technical topic then only Reply. do not waste other's time. This is not English teaching class. We do not need your Special Hunky Dory response. Bro, be mature. If you know Technical reply to Technical. Keep you Ego and other things separately.

Also you are NOT a "Curious_DBA". You are a "Garbage_DBA".🙂😀

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:51 AM

Also you are a GIGO.
    Garbage IN- Garbage Out

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:52 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:51 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:45 AM

curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:39 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:45 AM

curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:32 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:11 AM

"

Also you are a GIGO.
    Garbage IN- Garbage Out

And you are now a "blackballed" DBA. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:30 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:52 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:51 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:45 AM

curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:39 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:45 AM

curious_sqldba - Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:32 AM

"

Also you are a GIGO.
    Garbage IN- Garbage Out

And you are now a "blackballed" DBA. 😉

Then why are you wasting your time? I never had seen you solving other's tech queries, rather stalking and mocking around. I am sure you have no practical job to do so post something in this forum. Good fun job.😀😀

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:38 AM

Then why are you wasting your time? I never had seen you solving other's tech queries, rather stalking and mocking around. I am sure you have no practical job to do so post something in this forum. Good fun job.😀😀

Heh... you're not only out of line but unaware, as well.  Good luck.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Friday, August 10, 2018 7:10 AM

SQL-DBA-01 - Friday, August 10, 2018 6:38 AM

Heh... you're not only out of line but unaware, as well.  Good luck.

Instead of wasting time, why don't you help other's in the forum? Is not that way you help and also gain (learning something new and gaining more confidence?) Or may be your ego is more than helping other's? You never know may be one fine day you get help from others when you actually need?

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply